• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Rescue Attempt with PSP

wobblebottom

Established Member
I went out and about yesterday snapping with Macker and grabbed some of a church and local abbey..

I was sooooo Disappointed when I got to check out my pics.. they were all dark... Silly buggar me had got the exposure all wrong..so Macker taught me how to set and understand it all a little more.. :thumbsup:

Anyhow... Heres one of my attepmts at fixing a somewhat naff piccy.. what dya think?

Before

463229043_4f202ca9c4_o.jpg

After..

463228334_b6500131fd_o.jpg

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
I like what you've done with this - much more dramatic in black and white.

My only criticism is the lack of detail in the gravestones facing you. There is definately some there - might be nice to pull it out.

It might also be nice to include the whole frame, rather than crop it down.

Tobers

Prominent Member
Did you use RAW? If so, make a couple of jpegs at different exposures and do a quick HDR job on them.

Not sure I like the B&W conversion as it looks a bit like a negative. What about making it look really spooky with a gradient over the top, selectively change the grass to be v.dark by using channel mixer, and see what you get.

:D

wobblebottom

Established Member
No not raw...but il try what you said.. still trying to find my way round this pp lark.. cheers..

Liquid.. ? how would I go about drawing out the ephigys on the gravestones.. just mask the stone and lighten?

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
No not raw...but il try what you said.. still trying to find my way round this pp lark.. cheers..

Liquid.. ? how would I go about drawing out the ephigys on the gravestones.. just mask the stone and lighten?

Personally, I would make another copy of the image on a seperate layer. Adjust the levels to increase the lightness and contrast of the detail. Place this layer behind your original, and then simply use the eraser on about 25% opacity to gradually bring though the detail from the layer behind until you're happy.

You could do it all on the same layer with a marqueed selection, but it's going to be difficult to get a smooth finish.

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
Looks almost infra-red to me once adjusted (the first attempt).

Personally, I'd make the effort to go back to the same spot with what you have learnt and get the shot how you want it in camera rather than trying to make a naff shot (in your opinion) into something decent.

You will get much more satisfaction from having to do a little adjustment to a good image than a lot to a poor one.

wobblebottom

Established Member
cheers Chaps.. In the first attempt i just desaturated and mucked about with the levels.. then messed about with blurr but couldnt get it right..

Stevegreen, I probably will next time im out that way... and its sunny... lol

Id definately go back to the Abbey again if I could find it.. I was gutted about those shots..but hey ho we live and learn..

Gizmo 76

Prominent Member
Just a quick 5 minute effort . . . .

463348517_766f147851_o.jpg

EDIT: - B&W
463361981_3167e63eb7_o.jpg

But like steve said you're better off going back and getting the shot you wanted, I think you've found a cracking location :thumbsup:

wobblebottom

Established Member
Just past the Main JCB Headquarters in Rocester,near Uttoxter.. near Denstone College.. little funny shaped church.. looked quite modern in shape and pretty weird..

forgive the naff pics..

463371247_90a075b2a1_o.jpg

One thing we noticed was all the gravestones were the same,or similar, and only a few more modern ones scattered about.. must of only been one stone mason in the vacinity...

Then we ventured on to Croxdon Abbey.. just outside Alton

463365330_8f62a0befe_o.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom