Question Require to change TV stations for Mother-in-law

Discussion in 'Domestic White Goods Forum' started by Tonyphotoplus, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Tonyphotoplus

Tonyphotoplus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have aproblem in that we are always telling M-in-law how to change channels. She has dementia and can't remember what to do with a remote control. Several times a day we have to shout down the phone and tell her how to change a channel! Believe me its hell frustration. She like spagehtti westerns and old soaps. Pressing 1,2,3 are easy, but nowadays we have loads of channels. Is there a way I can change her TV station from 6 miles away? Can I send a signal down the phone? It would help us emensly if this could be resolved. I can't see anything, but I would guess if there is something out there you guys would know about it

Thanks, I need to save what hair I have left.

2. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,049
    If the TV was in fact a PC you could control it remotely using VNC.

However, this may not solve your problems. I'm not being funny or insulting, but if your mother cannot cope with a remote control then any other solution is also likely to go wrong.

3. Tonyphotoplus

Tonyphotoplus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its a problem. That is why if I can do it from where I am she just has to sit and look at the screen. Just wish there was something. To have a PC in would confuse the hell out of her at 91

4. cjx

cjx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    If she has sky try using your iPhone or I assume any other smart phone. Download the sky app and choose what you want, select it and highlight watch now. Never used it when not connected to my wifi but should be a way around it Im sure if that was a problem.

5. Paul224

Paul224
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    Is there a feature on her telly where you can programme her favourite channels together or delete/hide all the channels she wouldn't need and only keep those that she would thus she could just use the channel up and down button as she pleases?

6. Tonyphotoplus

Tonyphotoplus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    iphones? sky? That is all money. I have no mobile and don't want one. But thanks for that. The TV is not an easy TV to use. Its a Philips and I have mastered it. My wife and I look at the TV schedules each day and when my wife is there we phone and tell her what station to turn to for her spaghetti westerns, or Heart beat, you know the usual rubbish, but to her its her favourites. I think we just have to carry on as we are. Does mean our lives are dominated by her needs. Its something you have to do. I was hoping so that my wife and I had evenings and othertimes to ourselves. Maybe that is selfish. That is why I had hoped for a piece of tech. Fingers crossed that the future brings out a tech for us that doesn't cost an arm and a leg

7. Tonyphotoplus

Tonyphotoplus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    She has no idea what she wants to watch. We have to choose it for her. Her understanding is quite limited. TX for replying

8. Paul224

Paul224
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    Life was so easy when it was just the four channels, at least for me anyway - I'm only 38 years young.

Hope you find a solution. Best of luck.

9. Tonyphotoplus

Tonyphotoplus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    TX, and you were lucky 4! stations! We had two and then BBC2 came and that was only on for a very short while. Choices were simpler then, now its monsterous. And the choices are crap. Now I have Xbox and Netflix with Youtube. Along with other addons. Unfoirtunately life is beyond those with mental problems and been brought up in the dark ages

10. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,568
  11. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +322
    Can't think how to do it remotely. I had a Philips pronto remote which had a touch screen. You could program it with as big buttons as you liked to do whatever you liked. So if there were four or five channels she liked watching you could just program them in. So I'd suggest a programmable remote is the way to go like tempest has suggested.

This looks like a bit more flexible. So reading it looks like you could program 1 to do channel 101 for example.

Smart Easy1 Learning Remote Control | eSpares

Good luck. 91 is a great age. My father in law is 90 and he's given up trying to turn the telly on...careers do it for him now :(

12. Tonyphotoplus

Tonyphotoplus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for answering

13. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,916
    There's nothing that is particularly easy or cheap to do; there are solutions for sending IR over IP - which would mean you needing to have her house as an extension of your IP network.

If you were up on electronics / microcontrollers you could lash something together with a DTMF decoder (phone key tones) and an IR sender - so you could send IR over the phone by pressing buttons on your keypad. I can't see anything on the market that does it out of the box. Could be a neat little product.

14. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,617
    Just noticed this thread...strange section for it to be posted in, however for anyone looking for a solution to this a "Slingbox", although designed for remote viewing and controlling of a Tv, can do this via any PC, tablet or smartphone.

15. Tonyphotoplus

Tonyphotoplus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Whoa this is going back some. Thanks for your reply. I hadn't heard of that before and shall be looking at this. Although it seems now its not too urgent as she can't remember how to turn the TV off and on. Sad world we get like this

16. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,617
    I just realised that to use a Slingbox at your M-I-L's location she'll need an Internet connection.