1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

require large amount of advice!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by haven't-a-clue, Nov 17, 2004.

1. haven't-a-clue

haven't-a-clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    first of all i would like to say hallo, and sorry for all the advice i'm looking for!

i will build a house soon,networking the entire house. here is my plan: i will have a home cinema/tv room(with 50" plasma and projector), a small server room-the computer in this room will hold all my mp3's and dvd's, and internet. the master bed room will have a plasma, the main sitting room will just have speakers as will the kitchen, in the celler i have a 'lads' room-also with plasma and speakers.

question 1 is: how do i send video/audio/internet signal to bedroom/tv room/lads room?? do i go through the computer or the amplifier??

question 2: how do i send audio to the other two rooms(kitchen/sitting room)???

question 3: if money is not a problem-can anyone tell me what would be the best components to put in the computer?? i would like to self build the server computer and the computer i want to use for a DVD player.

obviously the internet is no problem. my amp is the new denon AVC-A1XV, 1 DVI in, 3 HDMI in, 1 HDMI out(for plasma), 1 DVI out(probably for projector). i will use 1 HDMI in for DVD player(or the DVI in for PC/DVD player), 1 HDMI for the new hi def SKY box(due 2006). is it best to run the other displays through the component out or through the server's graphics card??? is it possible to have 2 graphics cards,both with dual DVI(1 connecting to the amp for movies and music in the tv room,other 3 connecting to the other monitors)???

i understand this is probably a ridiculous question to ask any one person to answer entirely,but all advice is very welcome!

thanks to everyone for reading this, i hope to hear from you soon.

please tell me if you need any more info(or if i left something out).

thanks again!

2. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, firstly if your networking the house invest in a cat5 blaster they are available from keene electronics, however if you are serious about setting up a server and money is no object then my list would be as follows:
    Proccessor: Dual opteron 246's
    MotherBoard: up to you to be honest I have an Arima riowork HDAMB not many people like it but its my choice, popular option is a Tyan K8W
    RAM:1 or 2 gb's of REGISTERED RAM opterons can not run un registered.
    GFX Card: X800XT or Nvidia 6800 Ultra.
    Storage, depends on how large your collection is, but if you have a lot i would recomend SCSI at the time of writing SATA is good but no where near as good as a dedicated SCSI Raid card set up on a 64bit PC bus.

You may want to pay close attention to your OS, as expensive as it is Win Server 2003 is a worthwile investment! WinXP Pro is good but as you said if money was no object... :thumbsup:

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What does 2K3 Server provide that's useful in such a scenario? Also SCSI seems way overkill for media playback, no matter what the type. IMHO RAID 0 SATA is more than sufficient .. while money may not be an object I see no point throwing money at technology simply because it's sexy if it doesn't actually make a difference. :)

I'd go with the 6800U for raw power, or 6600GT for quality HTPC work and more than sufficient 'ooomph' for Doom 3 et. al.

4. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say SCSI simply because IMO sata raid simply isnt up to scrath atm even on high end boards it is still running on your 32bit pci bus and it saturates it ... quickly, when sata 2 is out it will be good but not much can beat SCSI raid mirroring, and 2k3 was simply because it is far more reliable than xp, and offers enhanced storage facilities and improved smp kernel usage. although I will agree with you SCSI is a slight overkill but if you want peace of mind that your media collection is safe than you cant beat a well set up SCSI RAID array.