Require help RE: Upgrading RAM for VAIO Desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Gemini-Phoenix, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm thinking about upgrading my VAIO Desktop, and feel I could do with some extra RAM. Here are the current default factory specs:

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/tutorials/memory/memory.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=1&s=PCV-RZ&m=1461

Sony VAIO PCV-RZ504
    Memory Installed
    Slot1 : 512 Mb
    Slot2 : 512 Mb
    Slot3 : Empty
    Slot4 : Empty

Maximum Memory
    2048 MB

Memory Type
    DIMM - 400Mhz (DDR)

What are my options? And what checks do I need to do?

I have four slots, and I am considering utilising them all to their maximum if possible. What benefits will I see as a result of upgrading?

2. graystreet

graystreet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Go to Crucial and run their system scan tool.

That'll tell you the correct type of memory to get.

The max for your PC is 2 GB so you can get 2x512MB. Put them in the other 2 slots and have 2 Gb in total, or remove the existing 512MB and get 2x1GB.

On my VGC-RC202 I added 2x512MB to the existing 2x512MB simply because it worked out cheaper!.

The benefits are mainly in speed of startup and loading and using applications. I'm assuming you're using XP in which case 2GB seems to be the "sweet spot" for XP.

3. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes, i'm using XP. So the maximum my system can take is definitely 2GB? Any particular reason why it can't take more?

4. graystreet

graystreet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Its the maximum amount the motherboard can address. But 2Gb is enough for XP as I say.

5. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm considering ordering another two 512's, to keep everything symmetrical, and to fill those other two slots. I assume everything is just plug in and play? (Just slot them in, and nothing more?)

What brands are good, and where are the best place to get hold of them? I want to be using Amazon.co.uk if possible seeing as I am already placing an order for various things. Or, a reputable dealer on eBay.co.uk (That isn't from Hong Kong)

6. graystreet

graystreet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Yeah just plug 'em in and the BIOS does all the rest.

Personally I've always bought from Crucial or Orcalogic. No idea about Ebay or Amazon for memory I'm afraid.

7. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I just looked on Amazon.co.uk and eBay and there's so many kinds! What kind do I need, or doesn't it matter? I'm probably going to go for a pair of 512's

Any recommendations?

8. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    How can I tell what kind of connectors I require? I was about to order a pack of two Kingston 512's (DIMM 400Mhz), but noticed that there ae some chips with 184 pins, some with 20 pins, and some with 240 pins etc...

Aside from physically taking the existing chips out and counting the pins, is there another way I can tell what kind of card I require?

9. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    There are three typical types of memory around just now.

SO-DIMM - Used in your laptop.

DDR2 - New version of DDR, has a lower operating voltage, 1.8V, and general is faster.

DDR - 184 Pin, 2.5V, These are a lot more expensive than DDR2 now, up to 3 times more.

There are a lot of other factors like buffered and un-buffered, EC and non-ECC. It is more than likely your PC is older as it only accepts up to 2Gb. So at a guess it is DDR PC3200 non-ECC un-buffered. Best place to buy from is Dabs or ebuyer and stick to crucial.

Best thing for you is to use one of the memory scanners.

I need to update my old PC as it has 512Mb of DDR and since XP loaded SP3 it now crawls. The price of nearly £60 for a 2GB kit has put me off. So instead I updated my laptop yesterday from 512Mb SO-DIMM to 2GB, the max it will take and what a difference for only £18. I also updated my main PC which had 1Gb of DDR2 and I tried to add another 2GB of DDR2 only to find I can run either fine but not both at the same time.

10. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Here are my PC specs:

Vaio : Support : Technical Specifications

It appears that yes, it is just DDR, and I bought my VAIO in August 2004

So would you recommend upgrading the existing memory to DDR2 as well, and perhaps looking towards buying two 1GB DDR2 cards?

11. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Unfortunately you can't switch between DDR and DDR2 which is why the extra cost of DDR is such a pain. Since your MOBO can only take 2GB and you have 1GB already it probably would be best to buy another 1GB (2 x 512MB) which should cost about £30. Although it may be best to sit tight and save for a new PC.

12. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What I have at the moment are two Infineon 512's 400Mhz - I checked online for similar ones, and they're around £26 each on Amazon for Infineon's.

Although, I did find this which seems too good to be true:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-ValueRAM-512MB-400MHz-Non-ECC/dp/B00009XFVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235832535&sr=8-1

Seems like a bargain and exactly what I require. 512, 400Mhz (PC3200), DDR... Seems like a good price considering there's a pair of them for the same price as a single Infineon! Hopefully they'll be here sometime this morning

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  13. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I received the above this morning and proceeded to install. I now have two original Infineon 512's plus the two new Kingston 512's

However... My system seems to only be displaying 1.50GB of memory instead of the 2.0GB that it should be showing... I've checked the connections twice, yet it still only shows that I have 1.50GB when I know I should have more...

Any ideas why that is?

EDIT: I'm suspecting that the page information is misleading, and this isn't two 512's as one might think, but instead a combined total of 512MB requiring both in order to achieve the 512... The page is misleading, and I initially perceived this to be a bargain pack of a pair of 512's - Hence why my system is only showing 1.50GB, as technically I have just installed only 512MB rather than 1GB...

Thoughts?

EDIT: Aha! Found what I should've noticed before:

Product Description: Kingston ValueRAM memory - 512 MB ( 2 x 256 MB ) - DIMM 184-PIN - DDR

What a bitch!

I knew it sounded too good to be true when I ordered them. Looks like i'm going to have to seek out the Infineon's that I was initially going to buy in the first place...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009