Require HDMI DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by FaxFan2002, Jun 14, 2005.

1. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi,

I am going to upgrade my panny 6 screen to a pv500, which will have a HDMI input. My old faithful Denon 2800 MK2 will need upgrading - I want something that is of the same quality, the obivious is the 2910 but I'm not so sure. Suggestions anyone?? I had a Harmon Kardon before I and quite liked that.

Thanks.

2. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Samsung HD950 would be a good choice. You must be aware of Macroblocking when using HDMI through these new dvd players which i am sure the samsung is free of as it uses a different chip from the Denon/Panasonic HD dvd players. Do a search for macroblocking to fully understand it but basically you will get breakup (like pixelation) during fast moving scenes so its best avoided and i am going to put my money with samsung and hope for the best.

P.S. my PV500 arrived yesterday and i am very happy, a few minor problems but i am confident i can sort them out but otherwise a great tv, best i have bought in a long time.

3. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was looing at getting the 850 for the Divx playback is it worth waiting for the 950 ???

4. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Unless there is something wrong with the Denon then I would not bother upgrading. Seems little point in just getting one wit HDMI just for the sake of it. DVDs are only SD anyway and the scaler in the samsung is not going to be better than the scaler in the screen.

HDMI doesn't necessarily give a better picture!

5. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Parklife, thats the opposite to what I've heard?!? I'd have thought a digital connection would give a better picture than a analogue (component) connection.

6. PCNutty

PCNutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have just hooked a Panasonic - S97 up to ny projector via HDMI & the picture quality suprised me. when i first decided to buy a projector i didn't think i would get a picture so good. This DVD Player is fully loaded with every connection you can think off

7. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Samsung 950 is out already so no need to wait other than for availability.

8. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What projector you got?

9. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes it does, any expert will tell you that.

10. PCNutty

PCNutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Panasonic PT-AE700

11. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I am afraid it is not quite as simple as that. It all depends on the player. I would say that a Denon 2900 will give a better picture through component than a £200 player using HDMI. The screen is going to rescale whatever you send it anyway to match the native resolution of the screen.

12. thornton

thornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    There is a little bit of unjustified claptrap in this thread. I would say there is NO point in discarding the Denon JUST for the sake of getting HDMI. I have had the Panny S97 running with a 37PV500 for a few days now on both component and HDMI and have settled on using the component. There is, having tried about 15 DVDs, nothing much between the two, with component being a bit more forgiving on some older discs.

With a more another or more expensive DVD player the HDMI might win or the component might. Although my experience is a bit limited, I am beginning to wonder what all the fuss about HDMI is. I think I will trust my own eyes rather than hypothetical "experts".

13. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thornton I am with you on this one. HDMI has been given a lot of press and if you compared 2 top end players one with component and one with HDMI I would agree that the HDMI woudl probably give you a better picture.

If you compare a top end player with component and a bottom end payer with HDMI then the component would more than likely give you a better picture.

Anyway you have one HDMI input so why waste this on an SD Source? Stick with the Denon via component and wait til Hi-Def DVD players come out or Sky Hi-Def.

Back to the original Q. Unless you need to upgrade I would hang on until Hi-Def DVD comes out.

14. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I agree with Parklife, HDMI being "all digital" DOES cut down on a small amount of picture noise, and give Hollywood piece of mind for higher resolutions, but it's not the means to an end. It should look better most of the time though.

I think the main reason Component is dying an early death is to satisfy Hollywood executives paranoid about copy protection.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you search you will see i often try and stop people wasting money unnecassarily on HDMI kit when there is no need.......But its your money feel free I'll offer you £50 for your useless out of date extinct denon.............(as long as its black)

16. lnewey6

lnewey6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    if you pop over to avland they have got loads with hdmi on pioneer dvd player as low as 150.00 got to be a bit of a bargain

17. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    You'd have to be mad to swap a class player like the denon for the samsung.
    You will be seriously peeved if you do.
    I noticed a better quality picture using hdmi over component but I dare say that the component ouptut on the denon would blow the samsung away anyway.

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    :confused:

If Pioneer did a player with HDMI/DVI for that price i'd be there! Cheapest is the 668 at 600 quid. Don't be confused by the graphics - it may show a HDMI or DVI socket but if it has a zero underneath it, it means there isn't one..

...PJ :)

19. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I'd love to try the Denon 1910 to see how it looked via DVI...PJ :)

20. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    HD,

It's gold, and I'm seriously peeved that gold has been dropped (I have a matching 3803)! Anyway I'll see how I get on with component on the useless out of day extinct denon! Thanks for all the feedback interesting stuff.

21. cjp123

cjp123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not want to waste my money but I have just bought a 32" Samsung Lcd and it is fantastic. I have a pioneer 565a DVD player and I connect this using a s-video cable as I do not have a componant cable. The picture quality is fine but I a worried that it can be better. I was going to buy the 950 when it came into stock as it includes a free HDMI cable but is it really worth it ? I have a lot of both R1 and R2 disks so it needs to be region free but will I be wasting my money or will this player show a sig diff then my pioneer ? What HI-FI rated the 745 as a 5* player above the one I have as mine so there must be some difference ? Please let me have you views before I waste my money.

Thanks in advance.

22. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    [post removed by admin. We have classified advert forums for this kind of thing, dvdchild. Please post adverts there.]

23. batty

batty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :hiya: I would definatly give Component a try, i use componet to feed my plasma and the quality is great. I cannot believe the quality can get much better until we actually have high def discs to play.
    BTW you will probaly see an improvement with a good scart and the dvd player set to RGB. S-video is generally the poorest quality connection.

Hope that helps