Require advice on first time car insurance please

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by nova2005, Feb 18, 2013.

1. nova2005

nova2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, i hope everyone is well tonight.

I am purchasing a 1.8 2001 Vauxhall Vectra with 65000 miles tomorrow night for £795. This will be a family car for myself, wife and 3 children. As it is my first car i have ever owned i decided to go for a cheap option instead of a finance deal with Arnold Clark etc. I am 25 years old and i have my driving test on the 13th of March but if i don't pass first time i will the 2nd and i know for a fact this car will give me the kick up the backside to get it done.

What i am having problems with is the fact i can insure it as a provisional driver for about £650 (ofc i need a driver next to me which is fine). My job is a self employed mobile disc jockey (its my own business). However the car will in no way be used for my business as i have someone that takes me. The problem is if i declare my business to the insurance company (despite selecting only personal use) that £650 jumps to £1050. Now i am unable to do a mon-fri job and atm i am struggling to get gigs. The reason being is my son is disabled and because we have 3 kids under 3 my wife needs the extra help. I do not want to close my business for the sake of an insurance company adding an extra £400 whilst a provisional or £1350 more when i pass because i put down a mobile disc jockey. I am technically a househusband as we are home about 5 days out of 7 unless we need shopping etc. So what do i do? Can i declare as a househusband or do i really need this to affect me this much?

We use my brother-in-laws car to goto my gigs as he helps setup and enjoys the banter in his free time.

If you can help me then please do because your advice could save my small business and save me £££'s as i will endup closing down my business at this rate but i do not want to be a complete scrounger.......

Thank you.

2. wack

wack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    It's pretty simple

If you don't tell them and they find out after you've had an accident your insurance will be void

3. nova2005

nova2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its just confusing as to why just putting down my occupation (which i may get a gig every 2-3 weeks) greatly increases the premiums despite me honestly not using the car for anything other than family runs eg, my son to his hospital appointments or food shopping etc.....i now realise why alot of people say these companys are conmen. I wouldnt mind paying the extra if i was genuinely using it for dj gigs!!

4. wack

wack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    They just assume that you will

Say you're all set to go and your mates car breaks down, will you miss the gig or chuck all the gear in your car

Apparently the most expensive insurance is for actors, even bit part extras, the insurance is scared stiff you'll have a crash with George Clooney sat next to you , brad Pitt and Nicole Kidman in the back

5. nova2005

nova2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would rather Cheryl Cole, Sophia Bush & Eva Mendes ;).

You make sense! I won't risk it and just list everything as i normally would. However, surely if i am listed as a nonbusiness driver - if i done that could they not void my insurance or would i just not be covered for business items that are damaged? Confusing.......but thank you for responding.

6. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    No it won't, he will be charged the additional premium to
    Unsure it correctly.

7. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Go to Aviva. They don't rate on job title. So long as you don't drive for a living, professional sports etc.

Also add your brother (assuming he is older than you with no convictions or claims) or your father as a second driver on YOUR policy on every quote!

That will save you a few quid too.

Also most insurers increase when you've just passed as when your on a provisional they believe there's 2 sets of eyes on the road one set is experienced ;)

Also how long have you had your provisional??

I ask this as again with Aviva they word how long have you had a license, rather than how long have you had a full license.

If you have had your provisional over a year and then pass it will provide a discount as you have still had a license over a year, compared to somewhere that just bases it on you've had your full license less than 1 year.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  8. nova2005

nova2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much for your response mate its a great help aswell! I have had my provisional for 5 years....
    Of course when i do my quotes i get one for a provisional for 5 years but for a full license price i put down 0 years...
    Should i include the provisional years or do they become irrelevant? I have been doing my lessons on/off for about 3 years but this time i stuck to them and i cannot beleive my test is in just 3 weeks time!!!

I am glad i came back to these forums for advice, best thing i have done whilst looking around!

Thank you both so much!

9. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Only include provisional years if the wording states it. I know for a fact and have clarified and sold many policies on the basis that Aviva mean total amount of years had a license. So this would include 5 years for provisional even thou you have had your full license less than a year.

I've used it to get good rates for people in situation like you, and also bikers who have only just got car licence but have been biking for years.

Difference being I use this saving to add an extra "admin charge" to make more money for me :devil:

Most insurers and comparison sites will ask what type of license you have, followed by how long have you had THIS license for, the question is different for Aviva.

Also as stated Aviva won't rate on your occupation so that will help, also if your on electrol role it will help with Aviva as they use a system called PowerPoint + which if it can prove its you the theory being your less likely to be commuting insurance fraud.

PLEASE make sure you add a second mature driver to your policy :lesson:

Compare with and without and look at the savings.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  10. nova2005

nova2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I done an Aviva quote but it came back at £2400 a year without breakdown cover etc but Direct Line was £2009 a year with full breakdown cover (excluding abroad).

I have not tried another driver yet because my brother in law will not answer the phone but i know he was out drinking last night.....so will try again after lunch! My father in law has had previous points on his license etc and joked that he would no doubt increase the premiums lmao.

11. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Just practise the quotes with the named driver however so you can see.

Put a false name such as "test" but put real DOB and options such as has own vehicle, no claims etc.

If your dad only has speeding points it will still save you money compared to you alone.

Just try it so you can see, then you can judge who best to put on once you have spoken to them.

It won't effect there insurance UNLESS they were to crash your car..... It would be a claim against your policy however they would need to advise their insurance come renewal they had an accident.

12. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Also you are checking fully comp? Fully comp can often be cheaper! So check both third party fire and theft and fully comp!

Also try increasing the value of your vehicle to say £3000 if asked.
    A lot of insurers add a loading to cheap cars, theory being owners won't take as much care so your more risk, thus higher premium!

You prob won't be paid out the higher amount come a claim however you don't care

13. nova2005

nova2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was only wanting Comp because i wanted the breakdown cover as a second hand car the last thing i want is stuck on a motorway with 3 kids and a wife! I will try everything to get the quotes down that is within law.

Also after my first year what would my insurance go down by if i have clean history? Some website said 40% but i dont think that could be serrious?

14. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,425
    Fully comp doesn't include breakdown cover.

15. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Yeah fully company's breakdown cover are seperate things. Fully comp just allows you to claim against yourself.

Yes once you have a years NCB it will go down,plus the extra year of being on the road, AND also the year of owning that car! They add a loading to cars that are new to the policy holders ur to assuming less experience of that actual car.

16. nova2005

nova2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The direct line quote for fully comp with breakdown cover was £2009 for a year. I should have stated i added the breakdown cover on myself. Thanks for clearing that up though :)

17. 19alicia

19alicia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im only young so up to you if you take my advice on board but as a young soon to be driver when my car get here i have spent hours upon hours looking for a car and insurance. Here are gud ways to help ur insurance
    - pass plus is a great option takes about 200 of the insurance and you could probs get a deal with you instructor.
    - if your gunna be doing under 2000 miles then try hasting smart miles my quote went down from 3,500 to 1,878 with them.
    -Alter your job in some way for example if you were a bar manager say yu was bar staff that way alot less customers will be mad at you and less likely to smash your car.
    -Add a driver with driveing esperiance onto your policy as a named driver.

Hope i helped