1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Requiem For A Dream

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Rambo John J, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +991
    Anyone else catch this on its UK theatrical run?
    If not, you might want to check the US disc out (unrated not the R rated version) as Darren Aronofsky has put himself firmly on the talented young directors spot. Definitely a director to watch in the future, in fact, the film struck me in the same way as Se7en did the first time I watched it, though not through the content of the film, more through the visually impressive way he told the story.
    It's a very downbeat story of addiction and it really deserves to be seen. It's also got a seriously impressive soundmix put together by Jap techno maestro Ken Ishii, and the music was composed by Clint Mansell (ex Pop Will Eat Itself), both complimenting the visual feast to a tee. A great mix of style and substance for a change.

Then again, there aren't any exlosions so it might not be you guys cup of tea ;)

[ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: Rambo John J ]

2. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once again we share taste!
    Requiem.. is a fantastic film and has been cruelly ignored...fantastic performances, great soundtrack. Not exactly light viewing though..

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +991
    I'd like to know just how the Academy justified overlooking Ellen Burstyn when it came to handing out the Oscar for Best Actress, I thought she was unbelievabley good in it, the whole cast were, in fact, I can't see that they could have found anyone to do the job better.

Have you seen Christiane F, the downbeat 70's German addiction flick? I don't know if the UK version is still cut, it used to be (having lost around 5 or 6 minutes), but Image have it coming out uncut on R1 in July or August. Now that one is seriously grim viewing. Excellent film though, totally different to Trainspotting, which I was never too keen on.

4. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree with the Ellen Burstyn bit, but then since when have oscars been about quality?
    I look forward to seeing the uncut Christiane F, as I have only seen the cut version.

5. cabanatuan

cabanatuan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,079
    sorry to bump this thread BUT WOW. what a great movie. just saw it a min ago and its one of the most powerful films i have ever seen and any drug addict should watch this movie.

a masterpeice. is the movie titled "the fountain" any good?

6. SeedyR

SeedyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Yeah great film. One that kind of leaves you numb but still with the fact that what you have just witnessed is amazing.

Definitely worth checking out Aronofsky's first film, Pi as that is really good too. Also did I hear he is going to direct the Robocop remake? Should at least be visually stunning if nothing else :D

7. cabanatuan

cabanatuan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,079
    robocop? you joking right? is the fountain any good?

8. sore napper

sore napper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Requiem For A Dream is a very hard hitting in your face movie and a classic. The Fountain, some like it, some don't, but its every bit as good as Requiem For A Dream but different. In my eyes its also a classic.

Aronofsky's work is amazing and there is very little of it.

9. sore napper

sore napper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Robocop!!!

Aronofsky needs a big mainstream success to help establish himself with the big major studios in order to make the movies that he wants to make. If he goes with Robocop I hope its a success for him as he'll get to make whatever he wants.

10. SeedyR

SeedyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    I couldn't make it up if I tried!

"Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM) has signed Darren Aronofsky to direct and David Self to write a new installment for its "RoboCop" franchise. Aronofsky, the director of The Fountain, and Self, the writer of Road to Perdition, make a formidable creative team, fast tracking the RoboCop motion picture and spotlighting it as one of the most anticipated new films for 2010"

Source

11. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I tried watching this once but just got bored of it really quickly, just found it tedious, in much the same way as Dogville. I may just have not been in the mood for it or it may really just have been a dull movie. A wet 80s bank holiday in Hull springs to mind. One good thing about modern life is that someone figured out how to remove the dull from wet bank holidays.

12. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Part of me thinks it's a clever, interesting film, but part of me screams, 'pretentious twaddle!' But I think on balance you have to give it extra points for having Jennifer Connelly performing with a double-ended dildo.

Regards

Mark

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  13. McNab

McNab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    There are 3 types of people.

The first is those that haven't seen it.
    The second is those that say it's a multilayered masterpiece.
    The third is those that say it's a load of pretentious twaddle.

I fall into the third catagory.

14. sore napper

sore napper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246