Requiem for a Dream 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for a great review Cas. I watched this in 2006 and whilst an amazing film, I'm really not sure I have it in me to ever watch it again!

Ellen Burstyn's performance was excellent and her character's journey was particularly disturbing and made 'straightforward' heroin addiction look far more appealing in comparison! But even then, with flashbacks from the film as a type, I obviously wouldn't fancy being addicted to heroin either and nope I dont think I can ever watch it again! :rotfl:

Great review. I imported this in October and agree it’s an absolutely stunning release. I did a review in the ‘what I watched last night thread’ and it is 10/10 for PQ and SQ.
it’s a hard watch but what they did for this release floored me. The audio is unreal.
Stunning release

Salo is a film I'd struggle to watch more than once (okay, twice). Requiem OTOH, is such a beautifully made film that it gets another spin about once a year. This is also a must have for me.

I've read many good things about this film despite it being such a difficult watch, but it's a blind purchase I made as I have been looking forward to watching it since it first came out and the opportunity never really materialised.

I'm so glad that now my pre-order has arrived that I can finally get around to seeing it in the highest possible quality.

Right after LOTR, Total Recall, Blade, Dawn Of The Dead, etc :rotfl:

I didn't find it a hard watch, just very depressing. Not one to put on for the family to watch after Christmas lunch :rotfl:

I agree, Cas, this is definitely a film that can only be recommended as a watch laden with caveats - let alone to purchase.
However, it is well worth the experience in the way it blends questions of legality and morality in drug usage; with an unquestionably madly interwoven visual story of what reattempting to temporarily escape 'normality' and poverty may cost.
After first viewing this, I remembered seeing Gov. health warning posters that got recalled for being too strong; with a dulled grey skull for overuse of legal pharmaceuticals, such as mom throws down her throat here. Snowflakes. Tsk.

Salo is a film I'd struggle to watch more than once (okay, twice). Requiem OTOH, is such a beautifully made film that it gets another spin about once a year. This is also a must have for me.

Come and See and Watership Down are films I have never rewatched, but Salo is up there.

Another must buy for me. I can't think of many movies that dazed me quite so much as this did on first watch!

Devastating, heartbreaking film. Couldn’t get it out of my mind for days after I first saw it.

Minor claim to fame. Clint Mansell's former 80's rock band, Pop Will Eat Itself, comes from the same town as me.

Last edited:
I watched this probably about 15 years ago now, and while I don‘t really remember much about what happened; I vividly remember thinking that I would never watch it again.

Already have Requiem For A Dream on dvd but will get the 4k blu ray after the new year. Might do a quadruple viewing with my Once Were Warriors blu ray. my pre-ordered 4k remastered Criterion Collection Amores Perros blu ray. And pre-ordered 4k remastered Irreversible Straight Cut Steelbook blu ray.

I watched this probably about 15 years ago now, and while I don‘t really remember much about what happened; I vividly remember thinking that I would never watch it again.

Yup, me too. I vowed I wouldn't review it because I never wanted to watch it again.

Then it landed late (day of release) and there was no time to send it to one of the team.

Have to say though, it was just about worth it, because it is a spectacular disc, even if I needed to detox with lots of light Eddie Murphy immediately afterwards.

I watched this when it came out, im not sure I have it in me to watch again, especially the final 5 minutes, which I remember as being very grim.

But the soundtrack was excellent and maybe I could watch just for the synchronicity of the soundtrack to the film. That film got me into listening to clint mansel and chronus quartet music.

Much like candyman introduced me to Philip Glass.

I watched this when it came out, im not sure I have it in me to watch again, especially the final 5 minutes, which I remember as being very grim.

But the soundtrack was excellent and maybe I could watch just for the synchronicity of the soundtrack to the film.

Yeah, this and Pi have exceptional Mansell scores.

To echo others before me. I wish I could but I don't think I can. I seen it on its release, I can barely remember any details but I still very vividly remember the awful feeling afterwards which says something.

I started watching black swan recently but had to stop :D I am getting old and cannot stomach certain things anymore :D

An excellent film. Very intense.

Great review Cas. Harrowing but brilliant, have been tempted by the steelbook for some time but this is probably a better buy.

Already have Requiem For A Dream on dvd but will get the 4k blu ray after the new year. Might do a quadruple viewing with my Once Were Warriors blu ray. my pre-ordered 4k remastered Criterion Collection Amores Perros blu ray. And pre-ordered 4k remastered Irreversible Straight Cut Steelbook blu ray.
Hi, do you mind me asking you where did you pre order your Irreversible straight cut steelbook? I pre ordered and received the German version. The original cut plays with English subtitles, sadly the straight cut doesn't. Was just wondering if you had the same discs? I've been looking it seems the States or Uk did not get a version of this. Thanks

Hi, do you mind me asking you where did you pre order your Irreversible straight cut steelbook? I pre ordered and received the German version. The original cut plays with English subtitles, sadly the straight cut doesn't. Was just wondering if you had the same discs? I've been looking it seems the States or Uk did not get a version of this. Thanks
Hi I bought it from a Austrian online store called Pretz Media. Yeah I unfortunately only found out the Straight Cut disc doesn't have English subtitles just the day before my copy arrived.

I've got a Oppo UDP 203 so I can download the Straight Cut English subtitles when they become available. Then use a USB flash drive plugged in the Oppo UDP 203 when playing the disc.

I do like collecting Steelbooks so will still keep it. Hopefully a UK Straight Cut release comes out, I'll buy it put the UK Straight Cut disc in place of the German one.
PicsArt_12-11-04.08.33.jpg

Hi I bought it from a Austrian online store called Pretz Media. Yeah I unfortunately only found out the Straight Cut disc doesn't have English subtitles just the day before my copy arrived.

I've got a Oppo UDP 203 so I can download the Straight Cut English subtitles when they become available. Then use a USB flash drive plugged in the Oppo UDP 203 when playing the disc.

I do like collecting Steelbooks so will still keep it. Hopefully a UK Straight Cut release comes out, I'll buy it put the UK Straight Cut disc in place of the German one.
View attachment 1425845
Aaah okay we're in the same boat then. Okay thanks and yeah I'll be keeping mine too. Will wait for a 2021 UK release hopefully.

Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom