Request for Small TV Recommendation

ClemFandango89

Novice Member
Hi All,

Looking for recommendations for a new TV with a budget of up to £400.

The space that I have is quite small - I mocked up some screens with newspaper and looks like it would be perfect for a 37", although it seems they no longer exist (shows how long ago I last bought a tele). A 40" just about fits provided the 'surround' isn't too big, but a 43" is definitely out. I would consider a 32" if downsizing meant a better quality, but at think that at that level I may as well go for the 40"?

I have heard good things about Hisense, but they don't seem to have a 40" range and the A6 series recommended in Dodgexander's guide on here starts at 43". There is a 39" A5 series, but I'm guessing that is a lesser model and not worth considering?
Samsung and Panasonic seem to have the best range of the "major" manufacturers at that size, but I'm not really sure what the pros/cons of each would be. Is there a guide somewhere that explains what the different model numbers mean in order to judge what I'm looking at - e.g. Samsung 6120/7120/7192 etc.

Not too bothered by FHD/UHD (it's to replace a supermarket own brand so anything will probably look very impressive) and will probably use external speakers so sound is likewise not a concern.
Mostly watch freeview (I think most TV's now include a freeview HD tuner) and catchup via iPlayer etc. so Freeview Play would be a nice feature (if it's not standard) and also have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Don't use it for gaming, but I do watch a lot of sport so anything that emphasises that would be good.

Any advice/recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dodgexander

Samsung have the 40" NU71 series which is a good bet at this size and is in the guide. ( I just corrected this in the guide as it was listed as NU70 series sorry).

Sport will be okay on it, but no TVs at this size have more than average motion now.

The Hisense 39" models will be just as good as the Samsung, but with the addition of freeview play rather than individual catch up apps but they are HD. They may fall a little short in motion as they won't have options in the settings unlike the Samsung to add motion enhancements.

Smallest TV to have good motion would be the Sony XF85 series starting at 43" but other areas of its picture quality aren't great in terms of blacks and contrast.

A HD TV at this size will give you slightly better upscaling and handling of regular TV, whilst an UHD one has the ability to support more up to date formats.

When doing the mock-ups make sure you are using the width/height dimensions rather than diagonal. If you do the diagonal you have to take into consideration the aspect ratio of 16:9. Diaganols can often be wrong too, most 40" TVs have 39.5 inch panels whilst most 43" TVs have 42.5. Not to mention bezels can be different sizes.

ClemFandango89

Novice Member
Thanks for this (and all your other useful posts on here).
I did remember to measure the gap correctly for the screen size, although I didn't realise that the display is actually slightly smaller than the size indicated. Obviously not by enough for me to cram a 43" into the space I have though.

Are there any warning signs to look out for with model numbers within the Samsung 71xx range?
A 7192 is going for £60-70 cheaper than a 7120, yet this comparison seems to suggest that a 7190 and a 7120 are identical except for a couple of additional satellite connections on the 7190 - Comparison between: 40" Samsung UE40NU7120, 40" Samsung UE40NU7190
Does the 2 at the end indicate refurbished or something, or is there another reason for the price discrepancy?

Thanks

Dodgexander

Thanks for this (and all your other useful posts on here).
I did remember to measure the gap correctly for the screen size, although I didn't realise that the display is actually slightly smaller than the size indicated. Obviously not by enough for me to cram a 43" into the space I have though.

Are there any warning signs to look out for with model numbers within the Samsung 71xx range?
A 7192 is going for £60-70 cheaper than a 7120, yet this comparison seems to suggest that a 7190 and a 7120 are identical except for a couple of additional satellite connections on the 7190 - Comparison between: 40" Samsung UE40NU7120, 40" Samsung UE40NU7190
Does the 2 at the end indicate refurbished or something, or is there another reason for the price discrepancy?

Thanks
Sorry for the delay getting back to you, I have been busy the last couple of days.

They are minor differences, I can't keep track of all the exact differences in all honesty because Samsung have so many variations of the same TV...they are all the same picture quality though.

With the 40" NU7 range some probably have a sat tuner, it may be that one model has a smart remote whilst the next doesn't, it may even be that some models have bluetooth whilst others don't. Aesthetic differences maybe too such as the colour of the TV, the design of the stand.

I would buy whichever model is cheapest and has the best overall value package, a free 5-6 year warranty is probably worth more than saving a few quid here and there.

If you have settled on a particular model you could always ask Samsung themselves directly as they should have the spec sheets to tell you the exact differences. Rest assured though that since all the TVs are 40" they will all be using high contrast VA type panels. I wouldn't really trust displayspecificiations.com with info as its user-sourced and often incorrect. It makes for nice comparison but sometimes its good to check direct with the manufacturer or the shop before buying.

ClemFandango89

Novice Member
Hi.
Just wanted to stop by and say thanks again.
Ended up going for the Samsung UE40NU7120 and got it for £329.
Have to say I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far (2 days in).

Dodgexander

Hi.
Just wanted to stop by and say thanks again.
Ended up going for the Samsung UE40NU7120 and got it for £329.
Have to say I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far (2 days in).
Good deal there, well done! Hope you love the TV!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom