Request for Mods, Groove and Theydon

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Daveybryce, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    Just an idea....

Do you think it would be possible to add in the stickies Theydons guide to Mediaportal and Grooves Guide to VMC with Mediabrowser.

Obviously not the whole threads but the main points in setting both of them up and plugins required. This may require some chopping from the authors but I feel it may be a good place for people setting up HTPC to start.

The main threads could then still remain open for questions and issues for the members to share.

Edit: Also I believe Jameson_UK is going to be writing a guide to codecs in the near future - if it proves to be accurate and informative maybe that could be added to the stickies too.

What do ya think????

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  2. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,222
    I have spoke to Jameson_UK and hope to get this added as a proper sticky.

With regards to my thread (oh and flattered by your comment :smashin:) it was a sticky (with 5 or 6 others) but then trimmed down as this is a very popular forum and with 6 lines+ per page dedicated to stickies, it makes the overall total page count huge. Thus it was condensed, kavanf1 created a new one with links that included Mine and Mickwalls info.

Since I became a Mod here, I took over maintaining the current sticky (expanding upon the original thread and hoping to help make the 'perfect' guide - with all of your help of course! :smashin:

Someone has already added a link to Grooves guide (and I had earmarked it in my email drafts as threads to add) within the sticky for me to update and I hope to update that thread again in the next few days.

This part is what makes my thread not quite as 'helpful' - becasue I started early on in MediaPortals life span, I have been through quite a few revisions*, through early beta's of TVSeries, helping to get Logos sorted etc - which is simply not required anymore. Those of you that needed the help at the time I hope I did, and those who need it now can remove a lot of hassle by using the latest SVN and a more updated plug-in.

The MP installer itself has come on in leaps and bounds and with skins such as StreamedMP coming pre-built in with Moving Pictures and TVSeries with logos built in meaning the guides are useful for someone using very old revisions - something thats unlikely to happen.

Grooves content however is current and very useful to those using VMC (or its kin) and so does make a valid sticky entry.

Thanks again for the props! :thumbsup:

* - I like revisions and constantly update my webpages and guides that I do in all shapes and forms. If any of you are old diehard EverQuest Players - I used to be a Monk called Bodi Kibadachi many many moons ago, so you will know I like writing and updating guides....

3. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,222
    A bump and a request for the following information so that I can add to the sticky:

Wanted for this guide:

- Details for anywhere you see AVForum member Description needed such as entries for KMPlayer, PowerDVD and WinDVD.

- Screenshots that I can use within this guide (linked to photobucket or your own websites) for Vista Media Centre (Not Media Browser or any variants) - see what I have used for MediaPortal above

- Screenshots that I can use within this guide (linked to photobucket or your own websites) for Meedios - see what I have used for MediaPortal above

...cheers guys! :smashin:

4. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    Hey Theydon I've added some more screenshots for the thread from VMC TV Series, Folder selection, and config page using Vanilla theme also a screen shot of MediaCenterFX

5. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Careful not to duplicate all of my thread DB !

I am in the process of documenting and updating the front page of the MB thread to keep it all in one place and current as i mentioned in it.....

Lets not split it up all over the place

ANd thanks for the work on the sticky TB ;-)

6. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    I was just throwing some images up for VMC and mediabrowser thats all groove, I'm not putting any text with it at all or explaining anything.... I mean why reinvent the wheel, I thought that the info in your thread would be more than sufficient to explain the hows and why's ;)

7. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,222
    Thanks to you both :smashin:

The only VMC pics I need now are vanilla ones as I mentioned above - I have the MediaBrowser ones I need and I just want to represent those VMC. I am trying to limit to just 3 pics per frontend which may be cut to 2 - the sticky is supposed to give an indication of what it looks like to prompt the reader into reading the respective threads to read up on how various people have built their HTPCs and the thought processes behind their frontend choices. Plus see more pics as well, natch.

Davey, if you have more pics, put them in your build thread and I will make sure you are linked under the modded section of VMC from the info that Groove has supplied.

Thanks again!