1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Request for a newbie sticky

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cadmeister, Jan 7, 2003.

1. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only been part of this forum for 3 months and already I've seen dozens of requests for "How do you connect a Panny or Pio to a DVD/VCR/XBox/PS2/PC/Tivo etc". No disrespect to newcombers as I asked the same questions myself (and it's representative of the early adopter territory that we are all in), but I wondered if we could get a sticky up (One for Pioneer and one for Panny) that details the most common configs. Neil's recent explanation for the Panny is a starter, and then we could add in our own configs so that newcombers can find the answers easily. I'm sure Jon Sims and Joe from TMF could put in there 2cents as well.

I reckon that these questions must make up 25% of threads on the forum. There was a similar stickie set up on the DVD room to answer the |Component vs RGB vs Svideo common question.

What do you reckon ?

2. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a relative newbie myself it's certainly something I would find useful and would make use of . . . good idea I think.

Monty.

3. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree it needs to be done. I'm in the process of documenting my complete av/pc/games setup a bit more neatly and I'll be happy to post this as part of the thread. [It includes GC/Xbox/PS-2 online via wireless and ADSL and progressive scan setups].

Regards,
    Neil.

4. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Neil - why don't you kick off the Panny thread with your generic explanation followed by your detailed setup and we'll look for volounteers to start the Pio thread ?

5. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ok mate. Who are the mods for this forum?

Neil.

6. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    codlord, jont, lynx, Spectre

Let me know what I can do - I just re-read the thread and I'm suggesting all this and not doing much myself :blush:

7. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a good idea as this question was the one which prompted me to search out this forum in the first place. I guess by its nature (plasma connectivity) it will be one of the most asked questions.

8. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I found this forum because I was looking for connectivity answers. I did a search before posting as I know how annoying repeated questions are but I didn't get any answers. My thread probably makes for a good sticky as it stands.

9. MALC

MALC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a great idea, can I throw something in. I have been using this site for some time and I do take time to read tons of stuff however the one thing that still confuses me (not being technically minded) is the Jargon used.
    I am sure it would be appreciated if those of you that are fortunate enough to know what they are doing explain things where possible without the use of Jargon ie; loop. I am sure most of you are saying, "everyone knows what that means" but when you are starting out it could make you believe your cable has to be coiled or something similar.
    I am not asking that you go into great detail as that would be unfair, but if it is at all possible and if you have the time I am sure it could cut down on the number of questions asked in the long run.
    Those of you who are constantly providing advice and feedback (and there are a few) I thankyou all very much, I know it can be time consuming and frustrating doing the same old replies but believe me your comments/feedback and advice is very very much appreciated to us "newbies"

10. Harryson

Harryson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great idea guys. It would certainly help me for when my Panny arrives in the next couple of weeks. I am happy to contribute once I've found best settings, connections, etc.
    Harry.

11. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    codlord, jont, lynx, Spectre (listed at top of forum)
    Stickiefy (is that a word) pending interest and faq development.