[Req] VFM Hard Disk DVD Recorder that mimics Sky Plus

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by frcrilly, May 1, 2007.

1. frcrilly

frcrilly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All (Newbie here),

I'm moving house but can't bring Sky Plus with me. I like the facility of being able to record something on TV while simultaneously watching something that I've previously recorded.

Is it possible to buy a hard disk recorder that allows me to watch something recorded on it's hard disk while simultaneously that hard disk can record something on TV. If yes, can anyone recommend makes/models and value for money places to buy them.

Any advise will be appreciated. If anyone knows previous threads that this has been covered on, that will also be welcome. (did search but can't find exactly what I'm looking for).

Thanks in Advance

Edit (Apologies, I've since spotted another thread on the same subject. I'll read through that but if you have any information directly relevant to my query, it will still be welcome).

2. jellybeard999

jellybeard999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Does it need to be a DVD recorder too ?

Id take a look at Twin Tuner Freeview PVRs personally, the Topfield (or Toppy as they seem to have become known) systems come highly recommended.

3. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Just to second the above. The Topfield will record 2 things at once(from Freeview) while you watch a third recording. In fact it will even allow you to watch some of the channels live while recording 2 (even Sky+ cannot do that).
    With some simply added software it can record series based on title searches. Not true series link (as Sky) but can get close. The same software can even make the EPG look similar to SKY+.

BTW just to avoid any cofusion these Twin Tuner HDD only recorders only record from their own tuners they cannot record from a Sky box unlike DVDR/HDD recorders.
    They need an aerial and you need to check availability of Freeview in new location if not already done so. Sorry if this is obvious. :D

NB Have a read through the PVR forum for info on non DVD recorders.

4. frcrilly

frcrilly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

5. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Afraid not these hard drive twin tuners are Freeview recorders that cannot record from any external source.
    If you want to do that you will need a DVDR/HDD recorder or Virgin Medias own cable PVR that has three tuners I believe.