1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REQ advice: SCART switch & S-Video>Composite cable/adaptor

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by LJ·202, Sep 11, 2004.

1. LJ·202

LJ·202

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have several specific questions regarding the subject.

First off, a brief summary of my equipment and plans. I have a TV that with a single SCART connections that accepts RGB and composite only (no S-Video or component :(). I have two sources I'd like connect into the TV being RGB (STB) and S-Video (AV receiver, switching two S-Video sources)

The best solution I can think of is to use a 2 port SCART switch, with RGB on one and Composite (converted from S-Video) on the other port. I have two SCART switches in mind being the JS Tech Master SCART Controller and the B-Tech Professional Digital Intersert. For Composite connection, the JS switch would require using a S-Video to Composite adaptor and a Composite>SCART cable. The B-Tech switch would require a S-Video to Composite adaptor and cable but also allows for the use of a S-Video>Composite converter cable.

My questions are:
    1. Which of these two switches would be likely to introduce least noise passing through RGB?
    2. Does the B-Tech automatically switch between the pass-through and Phono? If not, is there potential for damage to any connected equipment if both the RGB and Phono are active?
    3. If the B-Tech is the choice of switch then would converter cable like this one be better than a dedicated adaptor like this one?
      I realise that converting S-Video to Composite downgrades the signal, however I'd still like to minimise loss as much as possible. Even though dedicated adaptors and converting cables essentially just combine the S-Video signal, I am wondering is the converter cable is to be preferred since it has one less connection than adaptor & cable.
    4. Is converting from S-Video to Composite worth the effort? (I can connect the two sources into the receiver using Composite instead)
    5. Am I ignorant in thinking that switching S-Video through the receiver and converting to Composite as close to the TV as practical less likely to introduce noise/loss then all Composite switching and cabling?

Any advice and suggestions would be much appreciated. Feel free to educate me on any incorrect assumptions I've made and tell me if I'm an ignoramus indeed! I'm here to learn :smashin:

Cheers,

Tim

2. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    To be honest down converting from s-video to composite is a waste of time when you can already output composite - you might as well save your cash and stick with the composite output in the first place.

I'd also question if you need to spend that sort of cash on a switcher box, I've had very good results with a £9.99 3 way scart spliter from argos (its the one that does not come with a lead attached) - I know alot of people who have also used this same box and report back that there is no loss of signal quality. Obviously its up to you if you go for the more expensive box, but I really doubt you'll be able to tell the difference.

3. LJ·202

LJ·202

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your suggestion Brian. I don't doubt you are correct in that the Argos switcher would suffice in terms of quality. I wish it were auto switching though, since I was planning to place the switch out of view, in a fairly in accessible spot :(

I pretty interested in the B-Tech adaptor but would like to know a little more about it. Unfortunately B-Tech and various sellers have not responded to my questions in regards to it. Can anyone here enlightenme somewhat?

Cheers

4. LJ·202

LJ·202

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any comments at all about the B-Tech Professional Digital Intersert?