Repurpose a JBL Sub333 to a powered sub

JavaJoe

Standard Member
Hi all I have found an old all in one JBL Sub333 5.1 box that worked when i put it away that has a sub in the bottom that i would like to reuse. I have a Yamaha rx-v677 that i need a subwoofer for.
Can I repurpose the electronics in it or part of them into a powered amp. I have a copy of the schematics but dont understand which bit does what.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Probably as simple as connecting the sub output to the analogue inputs - using a Y split to run into both channels of one of the inputs. You can just ignore the speaker outputs and just the sub will then operate. You might need to play with the settings on the AVR to tweak the crossover a little lower, but other than that, you should be good to go.

JavaJoe

Standard Member
It is all stripped out of the old case just the different parts on a very big heat sink. I was hoping that one of the amps could just be used for the subwoofer but I dont know enough about the electronics side to identify all the bits.

Attachments

• sub333.PNG
    sub333.PNG
    209.8 KB · Views: 59

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Unless you have a good understanding of electronics and some test gear - multimeter and scope as a minimum, I would go with my suggestion above. Identify the input and use the sub output, ignoring everything else.

Trying to just use the amplifier stage is going to be problematic, as it's likely to be a class D or similar amplifier and may rely on the input stage to perform the A/D conversion.

Please be aware of the power supply and the lethal mains voltages on the input side. If it's a switched mode, then these can be found all over the board, so be doubly careful.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom