Reproductive Rights

Thorongil

This is probably the one social issue that I have never really changed my view on. Abortion is a horrible thing and should be avoided in all ways possible so that it happens as little as possible. I don’t take that view from any kind of religious standpoint.

I don’t believe though that it is feasible or right that it should be illegal in circumstances where it is a genuine medical requirement. I think this is rarer than current common use.

I am male, and I make no apology for my view to which I am entitled. Many aborted foetuses are male. And shockingly many more are female due to cultures which prize male children more highly.

I think it would be a good thing to create to social conditions where abortion numbers are as low as they can possibly be. I think that’s a reasonable position that few on either side of the debate could take issue with.

Rebecca Riot

This is probably the one social issue that I have never really changed my view on. Abortion is a horrible thing and should be avoided in all ways possible so that it happens as little as possible. I don’t take that view from any kind of religious standpoint.

I don’t believe though that it is feasible or right that it should be illegal in circumstances where it is a genuine medical requirement. I think this is rarer than current common use.

I am male, and I make no apology for my view to which I am entitled. Many aborted foetuses are male. And shockingly many more are female due to cultures which prize male children more highly.

I think it would be a good thing to create to social conditions where abortion numbers are as low as they can possibly be. I think that’s a reasonable position that few on either side of the debate could take issue with.
Would you consider rape or incest as valid reasons for abortion, even if the foetus is healthy?
You say you are male so you will never know what it is like to carry the child of a man who abused you.
Sure, you could have the child adopted but there is always the fear that they will try and contact you when they reach 18 wanting to know the circumstances of their conception/birth and you would have to relive the whole horrible experience all over again.

Programmes like Long Lost Families encourage adopted children to seek out their birth families and in most cases this is great with happy endings all round but they rarely show you the cases where the birth mother doesn't want to make contact yet will still be traumatised by knowing that her child is trying to find her.

Thorongil

Would you consider rape or incest as valid reasons for abortion, even if the foetus is healthy?
You say you are male so you will never know what it is like to carry the child of a man who abused you.
Sure, you could have the child adopted but there is always the fear that they will try and contact you when they reach 18 wanting to know the circumstances of their conception/birth and you would have to relive the whole horrible experience all over again.

Programmes like Long Lost Families encourage adopted children to seek out their birth families and in most cases this is great with happy endings all round but they rarely show you the cases where the birth mother doesn't want to make contact yet will still be traumatised by knowing that her child is trying to find her.
I can see the argument of course in the case or rape and incest. It’s a horrific thing and is horrible and traumatic whatever is done in that situation.

I think a very small percentage of abortions are for those reasons. I’m not of the view that abortion should be banned in all circumstances, but I do think the number of abortions should be much lower than they are.

dmpzsn

Distinguished Member

After around 45 years my daughter found me. I lost track of her when she was around 1-2 years old and her mother moved away.

This was before I meet my Wife, who knew about her from day 1.

She doesn't even live in the same country but lives in NZ. Parents nowadays are easy for a child to find if they know their name, and you're right it can go one of two ways. The parent could be pleased, as I was, or distraught.

If they're the latter and their present family have no idea of the child it could also ruin their life

Rebecca Riot

I can see the argument of course in the case or rape and incest. It’s a horrific thing and is horrible and traumatic whatever is done in that situation.

I think a very small percentage of abortions are for those reasons. I’m not of the view that abortion should be banned in all circumstances, but I do think the number of abortions should be much lower than they are.
Fair enough.

Watcher No1

I think everyone would prefer there were fewer abortions - it's hardly something that most women enter into lightly.

On the plus point, the rate for under 18s has absolutely plummetted in the last decade, which shows all the sex and relationships education might just be cutting through

Still support the right to choose though. Most abortions happen before 10 weeks (80%+) before the feotus is even halfway to being viable.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom