Reproductive Rights

Jammy Smears

'Pro-life' is such a BS term for being against abortion.
As if people who are in favour of making abortion available to those who choose or need it are "anti life."
Pro lifers lose interest once the baby is born. They care about a potential life but they don't give a crap about women, girls or unwanted babies. It's all about controlling women in my opinion.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I 100% welcome the replies in this thread, it genuinely demonstrates that reproductive rights are an issue of conscience in this country. granted folk have their reservations, which is to be expected. I'm so glad we tend to air on the side of women when it comes to so sensitive matters.

I feel that access to pregnancy services should come with some requirements, in that an informed decision can be made.....access to counselling at the very least.

Likewise, it is indeed heart-warming to know that not everyone is a sh*thouse.

We definitely should always air on the side of women; there have always been far too many old white conservative men who think they have jurisdiction over a woman's body and their reproductive decisions. Sadly though in recent times these men have been joined by more women too. There's still a needless struggle going on in too many places.

Notorious PIG

Likewise, it is indeed heart-warming to know that not everyone is a sh*thouse.

We definitely should always air on the side of women; there have always been far too many old white conservative men who think they have jurisdiction over a woman's body and their reproductive decisions. Sadly though in recent times these men have been joined by more women too. There's still a needless struggle going on in too many places.
Across nearly all lands, men control too many of the laws regarding women’s issues, yes. Not sure what ‘white’ has to do with it though. In my country abortion is illegal and there are hardly any white people there. (Incidentally, nothing to do with with Christianity or Abrahamic religions there either, as the majority are Buddhist.)

acatweasel

Distinguished Member
Incredible numbers. Out of myself and my 3 closest friends, 3 of us have suffered multiple miscarriages.

One of our (3 miscarriages) died at 20 weeks and although the baby was obviously already dead, we had to go through basically the process of a birth over 30 hours or so at hospital. Absolutely heartbreaking.

We had two before my first child. Then another in between my second and third I think.
In our house, had two, lost two (just after the first set of scans in both cases). If I remember correctly, at the time the medical staff informed us that around 1 in 3 women would encounter a miscarraige or termination for reason.

Never been too religious anyway, but if a God set this up, he should be doing a better job of it.

Pro-choice all the way for this household (Wifeynurse determining policy there!!)

Andrue

The woman should have the right to terminate (up to some cut-off date). However personally I wouldn't be happy with a termination unless there was a medical reason for it. If it were mine I would prefer to bring the child to full term even if it meant me being the only parent.

D

Deleted member 161415

Pro-lifers are entitled to their views of course and I respect their viewpoint.

I try to respect others views, in the example of a pro lifer, I would ask myself “Does a pro lifer have the choice to terminate and or go full term”, if the answer is “yes” then I’d be happy for them and consider it right and proper that they have a choice.

The moment a pro lifer (or any other type of pro whatever person) starts to tell me that my choice should be their choice and wishes to remove any choice then I just walk away.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
The problem with many of the more restrictive abortion laws is that they are written to combat the perceived "lifestyle abortion" minority.

I think in reality very few women would consider termination as a form of birth control, but in many countries, unmarried mothers are very poorly supported by both the state and society.

The 2 must go hand in hand. If you encourage as many women as possible to keep their children by reducing access to abortion, equally you must improve state support and community acceptance. This was - and I believe still is to some extent the problem in Ireland, where unmarried mothers are ostracised in society but have little access to birth control and abortion services

I don't discount the importance of a family unit, but this doesn't just mean a married couple. These days - and if we're honest in the past as well, families come in all sorts of shapes, flavours and sizes.

If we accept that people will have sex for pleasure and companionship, we must accept that occasional unplanned pregnancies will be a part of this. We must therefore make provision for this, both in terms of options available to the woman and ongoing support within society.

richp007

Distinguished Member
America decides not to take a step backwards, but a giant leap instead.

Trump's doing this in his meddling with the Supreme Court, of that there is no doubt. It was only a matter of time once he'd stacked it.

Judge Mental

100% pro choice. It should be a decision made by the woman with appropriate support and advice. I had three miscarriages and it felt cruel to be in hospital alongside women having their pregnancies terminated but their situation wasn’t mine and my views on their decision were irrelevant. I’d always felt I would be prepared to terminate an unwanted pregnancy rather than bring a child into the world and that view didn’t change when I found myself unable to maintain a very much wanted pregnancy.

I went on to have two healthy children, now grown up and it remains my view that a civilised country should make provision for women to choose when to have a family.

I’m also an atheist and have no truck with any religious arguments as I see these as a mask for men (and some women) controlling women’s decision making.

Its a decision few women take lightly. Let them decide.

Betsi

Trump's doing this in his meddling with the Supreme Court, of that there is no doubt. It was only a matter of time once he'd stacked it.

I'm finding it hard to believe that this has been passed. Many women wouldn't know they were pregnant until around 6 weeks of pregnancy. To not allow abortions following a rape or incest is inhumane and could even be a human rights issue?

Women, to some, are just a womb.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I'm finding it hard to believe that this has been passed. Many women wouldn't know they were pregnant until around 6 weeks of pregnancy. To not allow abortions following a rape or incest is inhumane and could even be a human rights issue?

Women, to some, are just a womb.

Basically it's sick. But unsurprising from a bunch of backward reprobates running the show in Texas.

However the Supreme Court should never have allowed it, and that's where the principal problem lies. Trump stacking it too far in favour of Conservative fudgewittery has now created a huge problem for issues such as this.

BlueOrange25

Distinguished Member

A horrific law in a Western democracy. I couldn't believe it when read this.

Screenshot_20210904-141402.png

This is litigation that is as bizarre as it is cruel. There are other countries around the world that the US has had dealings with, and those countries have been criticised for their treatment of women.

Astonishing that the US should be told to take a good look in the mirror.

Screenshot_20210904-142251.png

Texas passes law banning abortion after six weeks

And somehow it gets worse.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member

rattie2007

Pro lifers lose interest once the baby is born. They care about a potential life but they don't give a crap about women, girls or unwanted babies. It's all about controlling women in my opinion.
And how many fathers of unwanted babies refuse to support or contribute in any way once they are born. Many! That number will increase.

rattie2007

Greg Abbott, Governor of the Lone Braincell state.

And they wonder why they have so many mass shootings?

Reglip

I am pro choice btw.

But why is it always this mantra of men making decisions about womens bodies. We live in a democracy where we elect representatives and we are governed by plenty of women too so it wouldnt be men making decisions about womens bodies.

Not to mention women are more likely to be supportive of abortion restrictions than men. This thread was originally about Ireland and when it was in the news there was a lot of talk about men dictating how women should treat their bodies ignoring that more women were anti abortion in ireland than men (at that time anyway)

Very odd. I think its because the debate is led by feminist so it becomes a men vs women topic when really opinion is generally split and men are more likely to want liberal abortion laws

rattie2007

I am pro choice btw.

But why is it always this mantra of men making decisions about womens bodies. We live in a democracy where we elect representatives and we are governed by plenty of women too so it wouldnt be men making decisions about womens bodies.

Not to mention women are more likely to be supportive of abortion restrictions than men. This thread was originally about Ireland and when it was in the news there was a lot of talk about men dictating how women should treat their bodies ignoring that more women were anti abortion in ireland than men (at that time anyway)

Very odd. I think its because the debate is led by feminist so it becomes a men vs women topic when really opinion is generally split and men are more likely to want liberal abortion laws
Are they? Says who? One of those situations where it’s all too easy for some women to take the that view when they’ve never faced the situation themselves. The Irish don’t represent the majority of the Western world. My closest friend is Irish…I avoid such conversations with her because her views are deeply religious and stuck in the past.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I am pro choice btw.

The fact is anyone that makes and supports a law like this is backward thinking. And really has no idea what they're talking about on such an issue. Man or woman.

As I said above though the real problem here is the Supreme Court setting the precedent of not overturning it. Because as we know the Supreme Court is now stacked too far in favour of conservative idiocy. They type of idiocy celebrated by people who think this law is great and will now be energised by what they've seen.

Last edited:

Jammy Smears

And how many fathers of unwanted babies refuse to support or contribute in any way once they are born. Many! That number will increase.
Indeed, if these pro lifers were forced into coughing up their hard earned cash from 6 weeks of pregnancy, made to attend all appointments, had to be there for their child every single day they wouldn't be quite so keen on enforced pregnancy and child birth. It does always strike me as odd that a woman can only produce one baby a year but a man could make many many babies in a year so why is it the women that we are trying to control?

Jammy Smears

Texas totally baffles me, they refuse life saving vaccines and think asking people to wear masks is 'controlling' but they're totlaly into forcing girls and women into having babies they don't want. It's insane isn't it?

Reglip

Are they? Says who? One of those situations where it’s all too easy for some women to take the that view when they’ve never faced the situation themselves. The Irish don’t represent the majority of the Western world. My closest friend is Irish…I avoid such conversations with her because her views are deeply religious and stuck in the past.

Its pretty much universal as far as i know.

“Polls consistently show … that women are more likely than men to support a reduction on the abortion limit. In the 2011 YouGov poll 28% of men supported a reduction, 46% of women did. In the 2012 YouGov poll 24% of men supported a reduction, 49% of women did. In the Angus Reid poll 35% of men supported a reduction in the limit, 59% of women did. In the ICM poll 45% of men supported a reduction to 20 weeks, 59% of women did.”

"So around 24 to 35% of men want to put more restrictions on abortion, against 43 to 59% of women – a consistent gap of around 20 percentage points. That raises some pretty big implications, the most obvious being that if it were left to women to vote on the issue, with men out of the picture, there’s a good chance that the result would be in favour of restricting abortion. On the flip side, if only men voted, they’d almost certainly vote in favour of women’s reproductive rights."

D

Deleted member 686356

“Polls consistently show … that women are more likely than men to support a reduction on the abortion limit. In the 2011 YouGov poll 28% of men supported a reduction, 46% of women did. In the 2012 YouGov poll 24% of men supported a reduction, 49% of women did. In the Angus Reid poll 35% of men supported a reduction in the limit, 59% of women did. In the ICM poll 45% of men supported a reduction to 20 weeks, 59% of women did.”

"So around 24 to 35% of men want to put more restrictions on abortion, against 43 to 59% of women – a consistent gap of around 20 percentage points. That raises some pretty big implications, the most obvious being that if it were left to women to vote on the issue, with men out of the picture, there’s a good chance that the result would be in favour of restricting abortion. On the flip side, if only men voted, they’d almost certainly vote in favour of women’s reproductive rights."

That does seem at odds with the narrative that it's mostly men who are against abortion.

rattie2007

Interesting!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th August 2022