1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reposition of Fronts

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by scrapbook, Jun 2, 2004.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    The 'wife' is having a move around with the furniture..not quite sure where that leaves me with the front speakers at the mo!

Luckily I was about to experiment with their positioning anyway...their ideal position, at least in an aesthetically and out of the way type way, would be hanging them high up on the wall above the TV pointing down.

Would this have a major impact on the sound?

If so, would you recommend I trade-in the 'wife'????

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hmmmm..... rear speakers up high is one thing, but front speakers probably would just sound wrong and detatched from your picture

ad

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The centre speaker should be directly above or below the TV in order and if it is too high I guess that the dialogue will lose it's relationship to the picture

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    How high up the wall were you thinking of going?

IME you can get away with it, especially if the front three are all the same height. Best to try and keep them at or below half way and angled towards the listener so you don't lose the HF. If you think about most front projection systems, the speakers a good couple of feet away from the centre of the screen and it doesn't cause major problems. So shouldn't make much difference vice versa.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    clearly not everyone agrees with me then! I look at this with respect to area.... you have alot more scope with a gront projection system because the screen area is multiple times larger so it is proportionately easier to keep the sound with the image. With a smallish tv, movement of a dozen inches of the centre of the sound field can potentially make the difference between it sounding great and it sounding a bit 'off'. Just IMHO

ad