1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Report on HTPC build - plus some problems!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Underscore, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, just thought that I would post a quick note on the building of my HTPC. The bits all arrived on Friday and it all went togetherjust fine on Friday evening. For those that don't know, the system is based around an Asus A7V8X mobo in an Antec AMG660 case. The case is excellent - although it is a mini-tower rather than a dedicated HTPC case - and very, very quiet (as I posted on another thread.) It also seems to run very cool - only a couple of degrees above ambient. It was a bit fiddly to wire up the font panel USB as each wire had an individual termination, but I got there in the end. Everything else slotted in just fine - though the Zalman Flower heatsink wasn't the easiest to fit due to the slightly restricted access.

First thing to try was DVD playback using TheaterTek 1.5. Very quickly got the mobo S/PDIF output working with my Sony amp, but also very quickly came across my first problem. If I do something like go to the next chapter, the video will fast forward for a few seconds before returning to normal, leaving the audio running a couple of seconds behind. Has anyone else had this? Has anyone fixed it?

Then tried the Nebula DTT card. What can I say: Fantastic! Not perfect, but most of the issues that I have are supposed to be addressed in the up coming v2.0 release. Picked up all the stations, allowed time shift for the Grand Prix and recorded a program for me when I went out last night. A great little product - highly recommended.

Finally, tried getting the TV output working for the Sapphire Radeon 9000. Got it basically working in 800x600 but then tried playing with PowerStrip as well. Seems that any changes to PS caused the TV to loose sync - and sometimes the monitor as well. Have my doubts whether I'll be able to get 1:1 mapping for the PJ and have a TV connected (using Alt + F5 switching) at the same time. Has anyone got a set-up like this working? How did you do it? Also, what it the best configuration for TV output?

120GB Barracuda V is fast and fairly quiet and the Pioneer DVD-120 is fairly quiet and runs quite slowly when playing back movies. I may still try Nero DriveSpeed to see if it makes it quieter still.

So, in a nutshell, I have a quiet (I won't hear it above the 28dBA racket that my projector makes!) cool (CPU temps of 32C idle and I've not noticed it go above 40C yet) PC with some (hopefully) teething troubles. I'll be getting the cable to hook it up to my projector tomorrow so, if the problems turn out to be soluble, I should soon be a happy bunny!

Thanks for all your help,

_

2. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    I had the same Theater Tek problem, it is fixed now. Try upgrading to latest version.

Rob

3. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only downloaded it on Friday, so I would hope that it is already the latest version! However, I will check to make sure.

Thanks,

_

4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288