1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Report cases of plasma burn-in

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by keyser, Jun 9, 2003.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is there anyone here that has problems with plasma burn-in or lifetime problems?

It would be nice if everyone that has had them would report.

Anyone that plays alot of consoles had any problems with their loads of statics?

2. Stekelly

Stekelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anything shown onscreen that has apicture(or part of a picture) that doesnt move will get screen burn on plasmas and rear projections. this can happen with tv (sky news, sky one etc) games (score, lives ,toolbars) and dvd (menu screens) this can happen in an hour or two in some cases, so u have to b v careful

3. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know it CAN happen, but I wonder how prone they are to this. Thats why I ask people to report if they have had such problems. To see if burnin might be overrated, or maybe not.

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Why don't you ask who hasn't had burn in problems? You may get a better response.

StooMonster

5. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had my Panny 42 for nearly a year now and I have never had any problems with burn-in.

I don't have any TV so I don't have channel logos to worry about but I do play PS2 a reasonable amount, I have played GTA Vice City all day before and never saw any problems. Vice city has some static elements but like most games these are removed on loading screens, menus etc so they are not 100% static images.

It will depend on your brightness settings etc and I think during the first few months of ownership you have to be a lot more careful.

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Would watching Cricket on $ky pose problems - I don't mean that the game is static its just that they have a solid blue area at the bottom of the screen with stats & stuff & of course the game does go on a bit.

7. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If you are watching England it will be. :(

Raven

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a problem that concerns me too. Many people say it's nothing to worry about but then go on to say 'but, but, but'.

My concern is that I go and pay £3k for a screen, have a few beers, fall asleep on the sofa and leave the test match on all night, only to wake and find my screen knacked beyond repair.

It's a real concern and I don't fancy the aggro. For this reason, I'm going for an LCD screen. I know they may be inferior in some ways but you can leave it on 24/7 with a big red dot on the screen, they use very little power and don't put out much heat.

9. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We've got 3 50" plasmas in the office that display system status screens and graphs that are fairly static. All three displays have some screen burn. I told them it would be a problem when they bought them but they put the static screens on anyway.

What a waste.

10. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think burn-in is overrated, I have heard very few cases of bad burn-in.. BUT :) it would still have me worrying, and that takes all the fun out of watching. But I still think LCD screens at 30"+ don´t have good enough PQ and are too expensive.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I thought I'd done our 503MXE in a while ago, but it was a false alarm. The Star Wars menu was clearly visible on the screen, but it faded away after a week or so of other use. Left it on for the weekend by mistake.....whoops. None of our other screens have had a whisper of a problem, in spite of wanton abuse.

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't plasmas have auto-off or scrolling screen saver mode? Say if you don't use the remote for 2 hours it'll switch the plasma off/enable screen saver (like the Pioneer DVD players, and vertical scrolling bar)

13. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my plasma for 9 months, at first I was paranoid about burn in and used the screen saver on a regular basis, but these days I am much happier.

I too use PS2 for periods of time that aren't healthy (for me) with no ill effects, 8 hours of Socom...

Be careful in the first month, and then don't worry about it. The only screen burn I have ever seen is on plasmas used in displays rather than home use.

James

14. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The only time I have ever seen screen burn in was in my local house of fraser where you could see the menu of toy story burned in, I presume that they had left it on the static menu for days.

15. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not had any problems with my plasma, and as other do play a lot of PS2 / XBOX games..... Did have a problem with my Sony Rear projection TV, the 4:3 border caused a 'burn', which was visible in 16:9 when a light background was shown. It was very marginal and I always had to point it out to people.

Based on this I am a bit more cautions about running in 4:3 mode, it also warns you about this in the manual.

My experience is you have to leave it one for a long time to cause real problems.

16. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi,

I have had my Pio433 MXE since november.

Whislt I wouldnt really calss it as a case of screen burn, we watch BBc new's 24 regualrly.
    Sometimes youcan see the feint outline of the digital clock when I have the white Screen on the DVD player. Howeever I have never seen it during routine use.

I wish though the bbc would move its clock about on a daily basis......

Adrian

17. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wish all the channel logo's could be removed with the remote like how you get the red i dot off pressing the back up button on the sky remote. This function could be assigned to another button e.g. blue. Sky could just issue this as a firmware upgrade.

For me there really is no benefit from seeing the logo on-screen as if I want to know what it is, it comes from the Sky menu anyway.

Hopefully, the broadcasters will change one day.

18. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    This is the best website to complain about on screen graphics - http://www.logofreetv.org.uk I would like to see static images banned on all channels, just in case it could cause a problem!

19. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    does it go away after watching other stuff for a bit? or can you always see it even days after not watching BBC news 24 but watching plenty of other stuff? can you see it on a totally black image with the room in total darkness, or just on a totally white image?

20. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    It depends on the plasma. It depends on the user settings.

I worry about it alot and have stopped playing my Xbox on my MXE as after 1hr I was getting obvious residual image on screen. Even pausing SkyPlus for more than 10 monutes results in 30 minutes of reatained image once it's started playing again.

Sensible useage is fine though with most devices. Leaving menu's on screen for days in not advised.

Gordon

21. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problems at all with my Panasonic 50". I too feel that the problem may be exaggerated, it is just a matter of common sense really.

22. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    A don't forget, you will get burn on any type of TV, including good old CRTs...

23. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But not on LCD's.

There are enough people here with burn in experiences to put me off. I'm sure it's not a serious problem but I really can't be bothered worrying about destroying a 3 grand piece of kit every time I use it.

24. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    There's a difference between temporary image retension (which is just the way it works) and burn in, temporary image retension usually goes away after watching a moving image, it can be mistaken for burn in and make people paranoid.

25. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm halfway through "running in" my Hitachi PMA400. I did take a quick break from the routine to watch 8 Mile on DVD which was slightly letterboxed. After the film I could clearly see a retained top and bottom bar if I looked closely. Utterly terror-stricken, I returned the screen to a logo-free channel in full screen mode and after about 15 minutes the effect dissappeared.

I have also seen a very faint and temporary retained logo from Discovery Wings for the same amount of time after about an hour's viewing.

26. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Never seen any burn in effects, or image retention, on my now 6 week old Panasonic 5 series. I have got the orbiter on, watch a lot of stuff in Zoom, and have the 4:3 side bars set to high though. Never noticed any retention when watching 2.35:1 movies either. I was a bit paranoid at first, seeing as i'm prone to 8 hour shifts of Winning ELeven 6 FE in 4:3, but nothing so far...

27. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    True about LCD/TFT not suffering burn-in, but all other common TVs/Screens will suffer from it.

You tend to get a little bit more conrned about it on a Plasma because of the price, but it's unfair to pick on the Plasma TVs as they are no worse than most other large screens.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest and I use my Panasonic for a wide range of viewing / gaming.

Like any bit of electronics if you look hard enough you will find a way of making it fail.......