Replacment for UE48H6400

aearose

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Due to faults with my Samsung UE48H6400, I am able to get a replacement under warranty, and I am unsure as to what to get.

My maximum screen size is 50", and I would like to go 4K, but keep the budget under £600 is possible. At the moment, the TV is used mainly for Sky TV and Blu-ray.

Currently looking at Samsung UE49MU6400, Sony 49XE7002, Panasonic TX-49EX600.
Might consider the Sony 49XE80, but is abit over budget.

I have looked at all of them in store, but its hard compare with the rubbish feeds that provide.

Can anyone provide some advise/feedback.

Your current TV uses a 120hz VA FHD panel, a very good one at that.

You can't buy FHD models with panels that good anymore.

To get an UHD model with a 120hz panel at 50" max you are looking at spending minimum on the Panasonic 50EX750.

At 55" there is better value to be found with more choice on offer, so at this size the Samsung MU7000 and Sony XE85 series are sometimes even cheaper than the 50" Panasonic.

UHD has pushed the prices of panels up.

Thanks for the feedback.
Are the other models any good? Sony 49XE80 or 49XE70.
I was aiming for the Samsung 49mU6400, but everyone ive spoken to, says go Sony.

At 49" XE80 and XE70 use IPS type panels, so worse contrast/blacks/screen uniformity compared to your current TV. If viewing during the day or with the lights on (or with bias lighting) this may not be as noticeable. But they do have better viewing angles.

Samsung 49MU6400 also use an IPS type panel.

At comparable prices to the models you have mentioned and at 49/50" in size the Hisense 50N6800 or Samsung 50MU6100 are better choices but I wouldn't say these TVs are better than the H6400.

thanks.
Curious, why would the 50MU6100 be better than the 49MU6400?

Surely the 6400 has a better spec?

thanks.

Yeah the 6400 is better spec so go for that.

Thanks,
any thoughts on the Sony's?
Dont suppose anyone knows if the 49MU7000 is likely to come down in price soon?
If I was going for a Sony I would get at least the xe90 which has FALD because they have the best local dimming but that model is out of your price range so the 6400 is best for your budget.
Coming up to Christmas it MIGHT come down a little but not much I would of thought.

If I was going for a Sony I would get at least the xe90 which has FALD because they have the best local dimming but that model is out of your price range so the 6400 is best for your budget.
Coming up to Christmas it MIGHT come down a little but not much I would of thought.
Thanks for the feedback

Samsung ue50mu6120 £599
Samsung ue49mu6400 £599
Hisense H50n6800 £569
Sony kd49xe7003 £579
???

Panasonic 50EX700B
Panasonic 50ex700b £649
Panasonic 49ex600b £589
?
any good?

thanks.

For the reasons I stated in my post above. 49" Samsung MU6 ranges are using PLS panels so overall general PQ is worse unless you need to view from an angle. Just because the model is a higher range/more expensive does not automatically make it the better choice.

Best TVs for you (in order of best value to worst)

Hisense 50N6800
Samsung 50MU6100
Panasonic 50EX700

Ironically they all use the same panels. But they are all 60hz models so overall I do not rate these as good as your H6400.

Thanks, i do appreciate the feedback.
2 things i forgot to mention.
  • I currently use Samsung's sound connect with my soundbar (nice to have, as the sounbar comes on with the TV)
  • I dont sit directly in front of the TV, more at an angle. (so i assume IPS is better?, but my current TV is VA?)

I have the UE48H6400 too and always tempted to upgrade to a 4K HDR TV but the reality is, to me, its just not worth it.

To my eyes the H6400 provides an outstanding picture and unmatched to anything unless going to OLED

I have the UE48H6400 too and always tempted to upgrade to a 4K HDR TV but the reality is, to me, its just not worth it.

To my eyes the H6400 provides an outstanding picture and unmatched to anything unless going to OLED
Thanks for the feedback.
My situation, is that my H6400 is broken beyond economical repair.
I will be getting a refund of £480, to buy another TV, I am also happy to top this up by about £150.
So I'm looking for the best options.

In that case I would say the Hisense 50N6800

thanks.
could I ask for your reasons?
I was also looking at Panasonic tx-50ex700 / 600 ? any thoughts?
any downfalls/ cons on the hisense?

Hi All,

Due to faults with my Samsung UE48H6400, I am able to get a replacement under warranty, and I am unsure as to what to get.

My maximum screen size is 50", and I would like to go 4K, but keep the budget under £600 is possible. At the moment, the TV is used mainly for Sky TV and Blu-ray.

Currently looking at Samsung UE49MU6400, Sony 49XE7002, Panasonic TX-49EX600.
Might consider the Sony 49XE80, but is abit over budget.

I have looked at all of them in store, but its hard compare with the rubbish feeds that provide.

Can anyone provide some advise/feedback.
I would go for the Sony XE90 if your budget allows and obviously wait till Black Friday if that's workable. Great TV, stunning picture and upgrade on what you've had, plus Android. Also, Sony is the closest manufacturer to Samsung in overall performance, so you won't have downgraded.
As dodge says, the Panasonic 50EX750 is also a great TV and good upgrade.

I'm also going to suggest the excellent 50PUS6262 from Philips. Great price, picture, sound and styling and adds Ambilight (why not?! Never seen anyone want to go back after having Ambilight).

Personally I'll pick the Sony XE90 but only because of personal bias toward the company. The others are all good too.

Panasonic EX600 is IPS and therefore a downgrade on what you have, and while EX700 has great picture quality it has severe motion issues (which the step up model EX750 solves). Motion issues with PAL and UK broadcast TV-specific content. Not worth the hassle.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I would go for the Sony XE90 if your budget allows and obviously wait till Black Friday if that's workable. Great TV, stunning picture and upgrade on what you've had, plus Android. Also, Sony is the closest manufacturer to Samsung in overall performance, so you won't have downgraded.
As dodge says, the Panasonic 50EX750 is also a great TV and good upgrade.

I'm also going to suggest the excellent 50PUS6262 from Philips. Great price, picture, sound and styling and adds Ambilight (why not?! Never seen anyone want to go back after having Ambilight).

Personally I'll pick the Sony XE90 but only because of personal bias toward the company. The others are all good too.

Panasonic EX600 is IPS and therefore a downgrade on what you have, and while EX700 has great picture quality it has severe motion issues (which the step up model EX750 solves). Motion issues with PAL and UK broadcast TV-specific content. Not worth the hassle.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the feedback.

If I can stretch my budget, and get a 49MU7000 for £700ish, would that be good?

the MU7000 at 49" is gimped with a 60hz panel sadly.

If you are limited to 50" then I wouldn't go lower than the Samsung 49MU8000 or Panasonic 50EX750 to get TVs with 120hz panels like your H6400.

But as far as TVs with 60hz panels go the MU7000 is going to be as good as you will get at that size.

Are you able to wait for potential black friday discounts? Maybe those TVs will get reduced closer to your budget.

Thanks for the feedback.
I went for the 49MU700.
Got a good deal via JL, due to the hassle I have been having resolving the problems with my old TV.
Credit to them, and to those for their feedback.

Does anyone know if there is a dedicated forum for this model, like there are for many other makes/models?

@aearose are you happy with the TV?

I don't think there is actually, don't be confused with Samsungs model numbers either, if you find a North American source of info about the MU7000 it is actually the MU6400 here.

In NA your TVs model number is MU8000.

Also, be a bit wary of differences between sizes. Your model at 49" uses a 60hz panel whilst others in the series use 120hz panels, so a different panel altogether. This means that any detailed settings used may be very different from your TV.

@Dodgexander
Thank you for all your feedback, and advice.:thumbsup:
Is there gonna be much difference between 60 and 120 hz when watching Sky HD, or a Blu-Ray ?
Out of interest, where do you get you information from? Is there somewhere I can also look?

TV is being delivered Monday. :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom