Replacing Yamaha Musiccast system... help

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Looloup, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Looloup

Looloup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Yamaha Musiccast system (the original one) which was state of the art - 10 years ago... but is now a bit dated. I have 7 of the client systems - 3 wall mounted with cabling for (3rd party) in-ceiling or wall mounted speakers, 4 others as 'complete' client and speakers systems ... so they look like a single unit. The server is also attached to the main stereo system in the living room. Due to the thick wall of the house, some of the units use ethernet connection (over the mains circuits).

It is time to think about changing this to something much more up to date.
    Luckily I have copied the music I have bought not only to the Musiccast, but also to a PC (for iTunes etc) - so I can run some kind of server already.

Music quality has to be good - but not audiophile good. We need to be able to play different music at each location.
    One consideration is the 'look' of the wall mounted units - as these still need to look quite attractive, for the standalone systems it is less important.
    A number of systems now seem to be controlled via Android and/or Apple devices - which is fine.
    Is there any benefit / downside of using components from different systems (obviously with different systems it wouldn't be possible to synch music in every room... but it is very rare that I would do this anyway). How to get around the wifi dead spots in the house for wifi only solution? Is it better to move the music to a NAS ? Currently it is on a fast desktop, with the Music folder shared across the network.

Another alternative could be to keep the Yamaha Clients just as amplifiers/speakers, and hide a small streamer behind them linked to the Yamaha's external input.

Ideas and suggestions please....

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,183
    I don't know the system so difficult to say what to replace it with. To take your option of leaving it in place you could use an Apple Airport Express at each location - they are wifi and ethernet. Then you could control them from itunes and any i-thing. Otherwise you are probably looking at a later version of what you have, SONOS system, or one of the dedicated home automation based systems like Control4. With a system of that size budget will be the major determining factor.