Replacing Xbox system fan

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by mrpink123, Jun 9, 2009.

1. mrpink123

mrpink123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi there all

I'm looking to mod my Xbox with a replacement fan, since the original one is so noisy. Looking around it seems that a 80mm fan has to be cut to fit in, so I'm looking at a 70mm fan as a drop in replacement.

I've found this Sharkoon fan on scan for £3.70, which looks like it would do a decent job. Does anyone know whether this should work OK? Are there any other recommended fans?

Cheers

2. Chett

Chett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    That fan would probably fit but its always a bit of a bodge job fitting a PC fan in a xbox, they`re never a direct replacement.
    In XBMC you can decrease the fan speed so the noise isnt an issue, just watch your temperature, you can monitor this through XBMC.

If your after a replacement because yours is shot i`ve got a few decent used original xbox ones if thats any use to you.

3. mrpink123

mrpink123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Cheers for the info. Well, I'm awaiting the arrival of my softmod kit, so I guess I'll wait and see what I can do with the fan controller in xbmc. I have owned this xbox from new, and it has always been relatively noisy (compared to my brother's at least), so part of me thinks that maybe I got a dodgy fan.

I'm not too concerned about bodging it if I have to, I'm fairly experienced with the internals of PCs (if not xboxes!).

4. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    you can get an original one from here :smashin: