Replacing Vigin Hub 3.0 - Devolo users

Will I Aint

Thing is, when you buy reels of cable they typically come in 300ft lengths in the region of 30 quid. As long as you go with the 3 part rj45 connectors it's so much easier to make your own patch cables for the length you need. learned the hard way on that one.

Will I Aint

Just did a quick online price check, I bought a reel each of cat6e solid and stranded core a few years ago, not used it all yet.

Ash056

Standard Member
I have had similiar problems with VM HUB3. Been with VM for 20 odd years. Always used their Hubs in Modem mode and my own router. With Hub 3 decided it use it as the router. Had countless issues with wifi dropping out. In the last 3 months, have gone through 3 HUBs and 3 visits from VM engineers. Then decided to recommission my old ASUS router, and hey presto pretty much rock solid wifi. So have bought a new ASUS router (RT-AC68U) and deployed the old ASUS as an AP. I just turned the WIFI off at the HUB rather than deploy Modem mode to keep the ethernet ports alive.

pixel8

I have had similiar problems with VM HUB3. Been with VM for 20 odd years. Always used their Hubs in Modem mode and my own router. With Hub 3 decided it use it as the router. Had countless issues with wifi dropping out. In the last 3 months, have gone through 3 HUBs and 3 visits from VM engineers. Then decided to recommission my old ASUS router, and hey presto pretty much rock solid wifi. So have bought a new ASUS router (RT-AC68U) and deployed the old ASUS as an AP. I just turned the WIFI off at the HUB rather than deploy Modem mode to keep the ethernet ports alive.
My issue is also with the Hub3 and a DECO S4 set up - Wifi is generally fine but I've noted problems with my ps4pro and the PC - both wired ethernet and Qos high priority fro both through the Deco hub. Overall my speeds are average of 200 down/39 up - I'm on M600!!!! There's always an extended ping on the ps4 with Warzone - anywhere between 90 and 110ms no matter day/night or whos connected and using what. Recently I'm having difficulty even linking up with players in team games. Re the PC it's less regular but sometimes it takes maybe 20-30 seconds loading pages. The Hub3 is in modem mode, one DECO is wired from the Hub3, one DECO is wifi and one is connected by ethernet - Any ideas?

Last edited:

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Surely is the other way round 200 down and 39 up?

Does plugging the ps/pc directly into to the router and reverting to normal mode resolve the issue? Need to eliminate whether there is a broadband issue or WiFi/mesh issue

pixel8

Edited lol thanks.
I'm not great at this stuff so presently sort of - staring at the set up wondering what to do!!!
So you want me to change the Hub3 to router mode and test pc and ps4 speeds?

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
I didn't think VM allowed you to use anything but their own hardware as the modem. I'd be happy if they would.

Correct, they don't. You have to use VM's Super Hub for modem duties, whether you leave its routing capabilities active or set it to modem mode to use your own router.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Same setup as me; currently running Merlin on my asus.

The SH3 is crap, I'm on my second as first kept dropping internet for a minute or so regularly, so got it replaced. My replacement after a week defaulted to a red light which means overheating, however it doesn't seem to be and still works as a modem.

As a router, manual IP assignment didnt always work,scheduling didn't work properly, and struggled with numerous devices connected. Also the puma bug and latency spikes.

Whilst they've managed to improve the effects of the Intel Puma Chipset flaw via firmware, the issue remains even in modem mode and is not bypassed by modem mode.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
Whilst they've managed to improve the effects of the Intel Puma Chipset flaw via firmware, the issue remains even in modem mode and is not bypassed by modem mode.
Oh I know. If virgin let us use different modems the SH3 would be gone. Still better using third party router with SH3 in modem than SH3 as router and modem.

Ash056

Standard Member
My issue is also with the Hub3 and a DECO S4 set up - Wifi is generally fine but I've noted problems with my ps4pro and the PC - both wired ethernet and Qos high priority fro both through the Deco hub. Overall my speeds are average of 200 down/39 up - I'm on M600!!!! There's always an extended ping on the ps4 with Warzone - anywhere between 90 and 110ms no matter day/night or whos connected and using what. Recently I'm having difficulty even linking up with players in team games. Re the PC it's less regular but sometimes it takes maybe 20-30 seconds loading pages. The Hub3 is in modem mode, one DECO is wired from the Hub3, one DECO is wifi and one is connected by ethernet - Any ideas?
I have not had any issues with wired connections, its pretty solid. so cant help. sorry :(

AMCross

switched mine also to modem mode and moved over to ubquiti and never looked back

Cezar

Hope it's alright if I piggy back this thread.

I've only been with Virgin since moving into the UK (200mb plan) and currently using their Hub 3. My issue is that where I live now, the house has very thick walls and wifi doesn't reach the kitchen area. My VM Hub is in the living room and till now I've used an extender in the kitchen however that is struggling to play HD youtube videos.

I've bought an Archer C80, put VM Hub in modem mode and found out that the signal is not any better. I've used the extender in my bedroom (halfway between living room and kitchen) in order to see if I can improve my reception in the kitchen/garden area. Now I'm looking to return the C80 and get a Deco S4 or even a Deco P9 (however powerline is not useful as the wiring in this house is 2 generations old).

Last resort would be to wire an ethernet from living room to bedroom and use the C80 there. But that's messy and I'm renting.

Any other solutions that I have at this point? After some research I feel that regardless of powerline, mesh or extender there's a trade off. Not looking to spend more than £150 at best, guess I'm being picky.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
"Proper" wired etherenet backhauls is the best solutions - fastest and most reliable. All the alternatives are as you say "a trade off" and you sacrifice speed, reliability or both. But it's not all doom and gloom, sometimes the "loss" against the gold standard (cables) is not massive and depending on your use case the losses may be acceptable.

If you cannot cable for whatever reason, the powerline and Wi-Fi backhaul are the most common alternatives. There's others such as systems that piggyback onto cable TV cables.

If you are using Wi-Fi for backhaul, bear in mind that the outpost AP's need to be "in range" of good signalling conditions of both the coverage hole and the "base" router/AP. Repeaters/extenders/mesh systems that use Wi-Fi are using exactly the same Wi-Fi as client--AP transmissions, they are not using some magic voodoo or "more powerful" signals or such. So if you deploy your repeater somewhere that's got poor signaling from your base router/AP, the repeater suffers exactly the same signalling conditions as a client device. Thusly you might need to experiment a bit with the physical positioning of the repeater. Less like this B------R-C and more like this B---R---C. Though of course it also depends a bit on the physical obstructions such as walls.

Alongside that, there are some repeater/extender/mesh systems that are "tri-band" in that they use different radio channels for the backhaul and the client transmissions so that they can occur concurrently which should improve the speeds a bit as AP---AP and Client---AP transmissions are not competing with each other (and everything else) for some "air time."

I would not pre-judge powerline. Age of the wiring is not a reliable indicator of how well it works. We've seen anecdotes here of people who tried powerline in new properties and it was still dreadful. There's no adequate predictor of how well powerline will work in any give use case - you just have to such it and see. Received wisdom seems to be to source them from somewhere with a good returns policy in case they suck in you locale.

If cabling isn't an option and Wi-Fi repeating isn't working, powerline would be what I'd try next - though I should hastily add the caveat that I've never used powerline. Some people report excellent results with them, some dreadful and everything in-between.

If you have a good relationship with your landlord and are competent at DIY and fancy a go at cabling, maybe contact the landlord and see if they'll grant you permissions to do the work. It's not as if you'll take it with you when you leave and you might be able to pursuade him/her that it's potentially a benefit to future tenants.

Last edited:

Ash056

Standard Member
I used powerline for many years with good results. Then went Mesh with Tenda. Now have ethernet cables to the front and back of the house. Powerline is probably the cheapest solution for you. especially if you can return is the results are not acceptable.

Cezar

thank you both @mickevh @Ash056 for your replies.

After some thought, I've decided to keep C80 as the main router (VM Hub 3 in modem mode) where this is closer to the bedroom wall (VM Hub 3 is placed at the external wall as that's where the cable is coming from). Afterwards from the router I will use one cable for my PC and another cable to go in my bedroom where I connect it to a second hand router which I can find on facebook marketplace/gumtree/nextdoor etc. They usually go for £20.

See how well that will serve me. Wonder if that is any better than buying a Deco M5 where I use cable for 2 of the routers and the 3rd to pick up signal from the closest.

Only downside to these mesh systems is that the main router does not have a lot of ports which forces you to buy a switch if you wish to connect more than just the "satellites".

Ash056

Standard Member
thank you both @mickevh @Ash056 for your replies.

After some thought, I've decided to keep C80 as the main router (VM Hub 3 in modem mode) where this is closer to the bedroom wall (VM Hub 3 is placed at the external wall as that's where the cable is coming from). Afterwards from the router I will use one cable for my PC and another cable to go in my bedroom where I connect it to a second hand router which I can find on facebook marketplace/gumtree/nextdoor etc. They usually go for £20.

See how well that will serve me. Wonder if that is any better than buying a Deco M5 where I use cable for 2 of the routers and the 3rd to pick up signal from the closest.

Only downside to these mesh systems is that the main router does not have a lot of ports which forces you to buy a switch if you wish to connect more than just the "satellites".
4 port gigabit switch around £10.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom