1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by graham.myers, Apr 10, 2003.

1. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    on behalf of a collegue at work.....

Having recently moved house and decorated our front room with a modern look I feel my old home cinema set up is going to ruin the look of the room.

I'm therefore considering options open to me to replace my Kef speakers (q15 Fronts, q85 Rears, 90C centre, PSW100 Sub)

A friend has the modern looking speakers from the Sony DAV800 package available for sale including Sub and I was wondering if there are any reasons why they would not be compatible with my Marantz 4200 AV amp ?

I'm assuming the speakers will take standard cable and although not as acoustically good as my current speakers and sub will offer good enough sound reproduction for film / audio playback.

He got a full set of replacements free so has all the speakers (18mnths old) for sale - Do people feel £100 is reasonable for kit that's surplus to his requirements ?

Any advice on this matter greatly appreciated.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    I think he'd be very disappointed usng the speakers from a DAV system with his Marantz ... they just weren't designed to be used together.

Better opion would be a sub/sat system like the Tannoy 5.1 or similar though that would cost him £400 + (not got exact price - working from memory).

Even better option would be for him to stop moaning about looks and use his KEFs as these will outperform pretty much any (lifestyle) sub/sat system.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with SD, if he downgrades from the Kef system to a all in one DAV unit I think he'll be very disappointed.

Sony DAV systems sounds awful, the Kef system blows them away.