1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing speaker driver

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by eviljohn2, Mar 1, 2004.

1. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    One of the bass units on my 77C1 has been quite badly damaged internally in transit. It makes a very nasty scratching sound as it travels, obviously rubbing against the magnet (or whatever) inside.

Mission can send me a new driver for about £25, is it going to be difficult to replace by myself or should I just send it back for repair.

I don't know what's holding it all together, if it's just a case of unscrewing the retaining screws and swapping over the wiring I should be fine but am I likely to be surprised and not be able to put the thing back together again?

I'm handy with a screwdriver and soldering iron but have zero coordination :)

2. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Shouldn't be too bad - the only thing is it may have a sealant around the driver to keep the seal airtight - be prepared to nip down to the DIY shop and get some mastic.

As always with these things, make sure you write down/sketch/take a photo of the connections to make sure you replace them in exactly the same way - you don't want the driver wired out of phase!

Good luck!

3. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i remember correctly, mission centres usually just use a gasket.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208