• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Replacing Sony KDL-402010S

Shark75

Standard Member
I'm looking at replacing my Sony KDL-402010S which is only 720p with a new 1080p screen.

I want either another 40 or 42 inch TV, 46 is going to be too big, 37 is too small.

I use it for watching TV both SD and HD (through Sky HD), movies on blu-ray and DVD via SONY S360, playing PS3 games and occasionally viewing photos through the PS3.

It's all connected to a SONY STR-DG910 amplifier and nice Yahama speakers so don't care how good/bad the sound is on the TV itself.

I've been looking at the Sony KDL-40NX803, the Sony KDL-40EX703, the Sony KDL-40HX703, the Sony KDL-40EX503 and the LG 42LE8900.

I'm looking at spending up to £1000, but obviously the less the better. ;) With the VAT off the NX803 does come into that bracket.

Not sure what the benefits really are of Edge LED, Full LED versus LCD, is it just marketing hype or do you get better blacks and picture quality?

Are the glossy screens like the NX803 as bad as CRTs were for reflections and therefore should I stick to a matt screen?

I want a really good picture, good SD upscaling, no motion blur, internet and being able to view photos from my Windows Home Server. Basically out of my list which is the best TV (ignoring cost) and how does the LG compare to the Sonys (as I've always loved my Sony TVs) and have I missed any really good competitors?

I'm not fussed about 3D at all (the glasses give me headaches and I think 3D looks worse than 2D anyway).

Many thanks in advance.

matt41

Established Member
I'm looking at replacing my Sony KDL-402010S which is only 720p with a new 1080p screen.

Not sure what the benefits really are of Edge LED, Full LED versus LCD, is it just marketing hype or do you get better blacks and picture quality?

Many thanks in advance.

Remember that they are all LCD screens the LED refers to the backlight.
LED sets are thinner, people are divided over any increase in picture quality especially considering there is a premium cost for these sets.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom