1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing Sky with Sky+.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Ash007, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got Sky+ but would prefer a bigger hard drive.
    As its one of the older Sky+ boxes (Pace V1) it seems a hardrive upgrade is a no-no.
    If I got the Sky +160 would I be able to sell on my, then redundant sky+ box to soften the £400 blow of Sky+160?
    Will my sky+ box simply plug into someone else's dish, or is it somehow assigned to my address/dish.
    E.g if my mate has regular Sky with the full movies n sport package, could they just replace their sky box with my Sky+ box n expect it to work or do u have to contact sky?

Cheers,

Ash

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
  3. PMF

PMF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    You can sell your box as its your property. However I believe its the SKY card thats registered to the box, so the person who bought your SKY+ would have to give SKY a call to have their SKY card registered to the box. Similarly if you upgrade, your card is registered to your new box, usually done by the engineer when he installs but you can phone SKY and do it yourself, if you do a self install. Also remember SKY+ requires two inputs to be fully functional so the person buying your SKY+ box would have to upgrade their LNB if you retained your dish and dual LNB. Lastly SKY+ functionality won't work unless they subscribe to the service. £10 per month unless they already subscribe to two premium channels in which case its free. Hope this assists.

Lastly I believe you are right that V1 boxes are not worth upgrading, although possible it appears they have software problems - 17min bug etc. I have upgraded my V2 with no probs and was due to upgrade a relatives V1 but after reading the problems others reported in the forums decided it wasn't worth it. They are saving for a 160+ instead. If others have managed to upgrade their v1 and have no recording or playback problems I'd be very interested in details of the drive etc..

4. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Just for your info, be aware that the Thomson Sky+ 160 currently has problems with Dolby Digital audio (almost making watching Sky movies impossible). Worth knowing.

Nathan

5. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    You can physically fit a larger HDD to a v1, but (on the current software) it WILL suffer the 17 minute bug sooner or later...

6. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the 17 minute bug?