1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing Sky+ HDD - Can anyone in N.W. do it?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by BlackRaven, Oct 20, 2005.

1. BlackRaven

BlackRaven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am fed up of running out of space on my Sky+, but begrudge paying a fortune to sky for the 160.

I am not sure what the current highest hard drive is that can be installed in the old style Sky+ box, or whether current recordings can also be transferred across.

Can anybody recommend any Northwest based companies that will do it for you? Or am I really better off just paying Sky for a 160?

2. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Do it yourself its easy!

Couple of screws, bigger drive plug in and go>

Search the threads here and you will find exact instructions on how to swap the drive. And aslong as you get the right drive it will sort itself out when you turn on for the first time..

P.S. Otherwise people on ebay sell a fitting kit (screwdriver,instructions and drive)(expensive way)

3. BlackRaven

BlackRaven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have changed drives in a PC before, but am afraid of buggering up the Sky box and having neither hard drive working!

Can you transfer your recordings off the old drive onto the new one, or is it a case of record everything off it and start afresh?

4. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    If you've changed a PC drive then a Sky+ drive is an absolute doddle as you'll find out if you do a little searching :D

5. Matt Higgins

Matt Higgins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I put a Samsung 250gb drive (£76 delivered in 3 days from Komplett) in my v2 Pace box last week, hardest bit was getting the 3 screws out of the back of the box without having the right bit (I used pliers!). The rest of it took 15 mins, no problems.

Now our lass can fill the box up with stupid Living TV programmes, and I can keep the test matches or football or whatever.

In answer to your last message BlackRaven, no, as far as I know, you can't transfer the programmes over.

Oh, just to mention, my box was out of it's warranty period, if yours isn't, you might want to think twice.....

6. BlackRaven

BlackRaven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is well out of its warranty period. I bought it just before Xmas 2003.

Will the Samsung 250 work in both a V1 and a V2, cos I don't know which I have.

7. Matt Higgins

Matt Higgins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the v1 has an upper limit of 160gb. The 250gb works fine in the v2 box I have.

There's a web site that shows you how do do the replacement, and will also show you what box you have - I'll try and dig the link out and post it later

8. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
  9. Matt Higgins

Matt Higgins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the link I was looking for!

Cheers Henry!

10. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Careful - you don't want to be accused of 'stealing' that revenue from Sky, now ;)

You can do it yourself pretty easily - see the Hummer site that someone else posted for details. Be careful about the model of HD that you use - although most will work OK it's best to stick to known 'good' models which are listed.

Whatever you do, don't boost Sky's coffers by getting the phenomenally expensive '160' box. Aside from the fact that it's ludicrously overpriced, there is an ongoing problem regarding Dolby Digital sountracks on the Movie channels. I think it's been known for almost a year and nothing has been done. Hmm, wonder will we be saying the same thing about 'live pause' et al a year from now :(

I'm hopefully gonna be putting a Samsung Spinpoint 200gig drive into my own box this weekend. The real problem is getting everything watched from the old 40gig disk. It's about 70% full right now, so I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and forget about 5 or 6 movies. They'll be on one or other of the movie channels soon.

Gav

11. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Definitely agree. I'm certainly no expert but it was very easy to swap it over. I used a Maxtor one. If you look on the Digitalspy forum there's a whole list of HDD's that other people have used successfully. Give it a go! Much better value than the Sky+ 160!:smashin:

Oh, my Live Pause works again now! :clap: