Replacing Sky Box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Just_Dabbling, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Just_Dabbling

Just_Dabbling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend's sky box has got a little warm and now will not turn back on.

He's spoken to Sky and they rekon that it will cost £65 quid call out if they can fix it, and if not, he'll have to buy a new box.

Can anyone advise, can you buy a new box privatly, if so where, and what do you have to when you get it for Sky to sort it out ?

Or, has anyone else had this problem, the red light comes on, but it will not come out of standby.

Any help would be very much appreciative

2. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    U should mention the maker, ie PACE, AMSTRAD, PANA, GRUNDIG and then the model number as this will give its age. Details are on back of box.

Buy a second hand box, look on ebay, free ads, local ads, then when u get it just ring SKY and say u want card transferrred to new box, sky will ask for box serial no and card no. Then away u go.

Buy a Pana, PACE, Grundig, ignore amstrad.

gb--

3. Just_Dabbling

Just_Dabbling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll advise, didn't realise is that simple to get Sky to transfer.

Martin

4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from Panasonic, most models have their Model Number underneath. Certainly Grundig and Pace do and I'm fairly sure I saw a label underneath an Amstrad, too.

BTW for £65 callout the Sky ladder monkey will give you a reconditioned Digibox (3 month warranty) which will probably be no more than 2 years old. You don't have to buy a new one. This is just Sky sales talk.

The Amstrads are excellent boxes. The early DRX100 got itself a bad name because the tuner had a design fault but most DRX100s have already had the tuner module replaced by now and going VERY cheaply. Later models are faster to change channel of course.

If you want a new one, I noticed a special offer here. Nowhere near as cheap as a used one but you get a 12 month guarantee.

And "gbmitie" was quite right about getting Sky to authorise the card in the new box. No problemo.

Fman