Replacing sky box+ with sky hd, change cables

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Gadjet, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,
    I have Sky HD in one room but wont use till buy new amp (waiting for 1.3 HDMI), so if I move it to where Sky box + is will it work with the same cables from the satalite or are HD cables different than the sky box ones? All other connections are there, ie, HDMI and optical just not sure of feeder cables from dish.

Thank you,
    Phill

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    It will use exactly the same cables from the dish as your Sky+ does.

Cheers,

Martin.

3. Chip Nicley

Chip Nicley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Phill

If your existing cables are in good condition (I.e no great signal loss, SKY can check this for you) then you should be fine.

SKY engineers are told to replace IF cables on HD upgrades however as a Trainer for well known SKY approved sub-contractor i tell all the engineers to do the same, Unfortunatly they wont.

Hope this helps

4. johnny777

johnny777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Cables that Sky use are 'OK' but far from the best. I used an independent and you wouldn't believe how much thicker the cable is that he used.......he showed me the difference between what he uses and the old stuff I had installed. He reckons you can get up to 40% signal loss with a long cable run on bog standard stuff. Obviously I paid a premium for getting all of this done, but well worth it in my opinion.

For info......had dish moved (changed to a Zone 2 North of England one), with octi LNB and twin cabling to 4 rooms. Was a big job (took 5 hours) and cost me £345 :eek:

5. henryv

henryv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Chip,
    Is CT100 the best cable you can get?

Henry.

6. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for your help,

Cheers for the replies, it is now 12.30am and had a good night out and come home with replies that will help a lot.
    Tomorrow I will switch boxes until the right amp is bought, off the thread but will probably be Onkyo 875 when it comes out. ( different dates on sites when it is available which makes it worse waiting, hopefully June!. Why this one compared to other new Onkyo amps being released is upscaling chip of high standard to make standard DVD have extra quality in the picture)
    Anyway a big thank you for your replies looking forward to tomorrow to move box,
    Phill