Replacing S-Max. Maybe Peugeot 5008

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Just a quick one as I have zero experience or knowledge about Peugeots.

My wife's 10 year S-Max is due replacing. I bought it at 5 years old for about £8,500. To buy the same again now seems to be nearer £12,500, and I'm thinking I'd actually rather get something a little newer. Just missed out on 2013 model with 13K miles for £12,300, so started looking around again last night.

Came across this Peugeot last night. Used Peugeot 5008 MPV 1.6 BlueHDi Allure 5dr GF16FAA | Robins and Day

Only a year old, 13K miles, and probably a bit of room to negotiate price. I've looked around all the other S-Max alternatives and don't really like any of them, although the Peugeot is the smartest looking inside and out of the rest.

My head says stick with S-Max's but for a 1 year car I can't help but notice how much cheaper this Peugeot would work out. The same age S-Max would cost me £21Kish.

So any information, good or bad on Peugeot's and the 5008 in particular would be appreciated. I've just read they came 137 out of 150 cars on reliability, hence my concern.

thanks

The 5008 has just been replaced with a much more trendy model (Land Rover could take a few style tips) which may be why the older one is so cheap. The S-Max is also recently replaced, but the new one looks much the same with an uglier grille.

I've just read they came 137 out of 150 cars on reliability, hence my concern.

Alternatively:
slide1_40.jpg

Or if you prefer your data with an umlaut how about this TÜV data that shows the 5008 being more reliable than the S-Max:
Peugeot 5008 - reliability rating -- An used car - TÜV reports

The reliability information available is pretty contradictory so I wouldn't put much stock in any one report. Better to look for common faults on a model and make sure the one you're looking at is fine in those areas.

Oh, word of warning. Car MPG figures from about 2007 onwards are inflated across almost all brands and models (Subaru being a notable exception) so don't expect it to do 64mpg. Expect around 52mpg.

The 1.6 engine is probably Peugeots worst diesel. But I've not driven a newer car of there's so it might of changed. Electrics would be the biggest concern, but in practice a 1 year old car should have no problems.

If you're planning on running your next car until it's 10 years old again then it probably doesn't matter but given you're hoping to take advantage of faster depreciation at purchase then it might pay to look at what happens to its value in 2 and 3 years. Depends on how you look at the overall cost of running a car. I tend to buy and keep so I don't really care about depreciation YMMV.

Thanks all, especially on the reliability info.
I had read about the new 2008 SUV replacing the MPV earlier this morning.

Will be buying to keep again. Always expect to lose a grand a year on anything I buy.
Just went to test the Peugeot. Not as solid as an S-Max but for what we need it for it's fine. Bit smaller inside too, but they offered me more than they should've on the S-Max and got a bit more knocked off + some extras, so I'm going for it. It's primarily for the wife to drive though.

10 months old, 26 months warranty left and effectively half price from Brand New. Loads of nice gadgets on it too (sat nav, rear parking cameras, full length panoramic with electronic blind, window blinds all round). Never thought I'd own a Peugeot but seems a decent deal for what is pretty much a new car.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom