Replacing Panasonic SA-PT670 with Samsung HW-Q990B. Questions.

tomster96

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I’ve had a Panasonic SA PT670 for about 13 years. I’m looking to upgrade and have fewer wires. I was looking at the Samsung HW q990b. I’ve read a lot of positive things about that system and it’s on sale until October 20.

I’ve never owned a soundbar before. I’ve read a few places that a soundbar with sub woofer and rear speakers won’t ever be as good as a “true” 5.1 set up. My worry is that upgrading from my current system, there won’t be a huge difference in sound quality. My old system obviously can’t play any of the newest audio formats, and this new one will, but I also don’t know how much of an actual difference that will make.

For example, if you had 2 systems with the same exact set up and one can decode the newest formats while one only does older formats, would there be an actual discernible difference?

I mainly use the sound system for watching movies from Netflix/prime video/Disney plus/crave. I watch through my TCL 65” 6 series. I also have my gaming computer hooked up to the TV and sound system but 90% of the time i game, I’m wearing my headset.

I guess I’m looking for opinions/feedback from folks about whether or not it’s worth upgrading. My Panasonic system is still in great shape. I have 1 rear speaker that doesn’t like certain frequencies and I can hear it buzzing/rattling very occasionally, but honestly it’s not a very big deal. Otherwise it’s still fine, just lots of wires. I guess I was also never really blown away overall with my current systems immersion.

Thanks everyone for the help! The Samsung is within budget but it’s not like it’s cheap and I don’t want to set it all up and finally listen to it and realize it’s the same/worse than what I already had.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom