Replacing Panasonic Plasma with New TV 75 OR 85 INCH

alan62

Standard Member
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to replace my Panasonic 50 inch plasma TH-50PX60B , With a new TV.

As i sit around 12 foot from the TV I am going to be looking at either a 75 or 85 inch screen, my viewing preferences are below

No gaming
Viewing movies through Netflix 4K
Standard tv channels through Sky Q
Some content through kodi
occasional sport viewing

Our viewing position is generally straight on although there is a seat that is at a slight angle to the tv.

I have an independent harman kardon sound sound system

What i am looking for is a tv that is primarily used for movies, the room that it is in is quite a dark room and we prefer to watch movies with the lights off.
I dont want a tv that has motion blurring as i find this annoying.

I have been reading through the forum and i am edging towards the Sony 75XG9505 , but i am wondering do i really need to go for a model that is currently about £2399 when there may be other tv's out there for a far lesser price that will more than fullfill my requirements.

My top budget is £2k

Hopefully someone here can help....

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
As you're using Netflix 4K, if you want good HDR then stick with your current choice.

Any lower price models spec will get you an HDR "compatible" TV but not one that shows HDR properly as they won't have Brightness and/or Full Array Local Dimming required to give you the required contrast.

You could keep an eye on the Sony Centre Refurbished items for a bargain, but again, only for that model or above. A 5 year warranty can be added at a minimal extra cost.

If you're not bothered about HDR then that opens things up and you could spend less.

Dodgexander

In 2020 there's a whole plethora new of 85" options which weren't for sale in 2019, so its probably a good idea not to buy now and hold up for one of those models to come down in price.

If however £2400 is already the limit of what you want to spend, go for the 75 XG9505 is the best value right now.

Looking at last years choice (and these models are probably sold out) the XG9505 despite being the best value right now wasn't really good value compared to Samsung models like the Q70R, Q85R and Q90R, so if you want the very best deal waiting is probably better. Having said that at the very soonest you're looking at waiting for Black Friday, more realistically spring 2021.

Lvrhs

Yes, You can try to find some of last years Samsungs, I have seen Q85R below 2 grand and Q90R and Q950R around 2500. All 75 inches. They will be better than Sony.
From this years models, Sony X900H is decent and below 2000 at 75 inches or below 2500 at 85.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Yes, You can try to find some of last years Samsungs, I have seen Q85R below 2 grand and Q90R and Q950R around 2500. All 75 inches. They will be better than Sony.
From this years models, Sony X900H is decent and below 2000 at 75 inches or below 2500 at 85.

The Samsung's are different to the Sonys and not better. It depends what your viewing preferences are. Sony's have the most natural picture and best motion and won't crush blacks. I'd go for the XG95 or wait for 2020 models to drop in price and look again.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I have seen Q85R below 2 grand and Q90R and Q950R around 2500. All 75 inches. They will be better than Sony.

I can't see them for sale anymore apart from refurbished on ebay with one year warranties. Hence, go with the Sony.

Lvrhs

Those TV's are refurbished, that is why they are so cheap.
85 inch X950H for new unit might hit 2400 Pounds next year.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I've had 2 refurbs from the Sony Centre.

Both of them were perfect but one had a box that had seen better days. You can add a 5yr warranty for not a lot extra. Call your local Sony Centre and you'll probably get a better price on the warranty.

Dodgexander

Good sign that those new 2020 models are already so cheap at the Sony centre, usually its not until later we see good deals like that. Probably shows there's more legroom and as already mentioned, its likely to see those kind of prices new in 10 months time, less if we're lucky.

But saying that, there's nothing wrong with buying refurbished, you are still protected the same as if you bought a new product and you can even buy extended warranties on top if you are worried about the longevity of a product.

alan62

Standard Member
Well I bit the bullet and just purchased a refurbished 75XG9505 from the Sony centre for £1949. Thanks too you all for your help.

just got to break the news to the wife now😯

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom