Replacing Pace HD Box with DRX895 - Can I just swap the HDD?

markdavey

Standard Member
Hi,

As above really. Can I just put the HDD from my Pace (already an upgraded 1TB disk) into the DRX895 or will I need to have it formatted in the 895?

Thanks

mrmt32

It should work as long as the Pace has a relatively recent software version. I wouldn't recommend it though as the DRX895 has either a 1.5TB or 2TB disk inside it, so you would be reducing the available space (calling it a '1TB box' comes from the fact that 500GB is reserved for anytime). You could transfer the recordings from the old 1TB disk to the new one using ExPVR, which would allow you to take advantage of the extra space of the new disk.

markdavey

Standard Member
Thanks. Box I have 'acquired' is currently diskless so would look to use the 1Tb.

Wasn't sure if the format was different etc.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Another factor is how full is the 1TB HDD? At present it has 140GB reserved for Anytime/Showcase but as soon as you boot it up in the DRX895 the box will attempt to reserve 500 GB for Anytime/Showcase and if there is insufficient free space then you are likely to corrupt a lot of the recordings on it if not the complete disk.

markdavey

Standard Member
Another factor is how full is the 1TB HDD? At present it has 140GB reserved for Anytime/Showcase but as soon as you boot it up in the DRX895 the box will attempt to reserve 500 GB for Anytime/Showcase and if there is insufficient free space then you are likely to corrupt a lot of the recordings on it if not the complete disk.

Ahh, that is more of a pain. Think i'll get a new disk.

What are the recommendations?

mrmt32

It won't corrupt the recordings, at most it will delete some to free up space (if you have automatic deletion on). You will not be able to record anything unless you go below the reserved space though (which is not exactly ideal). The code on the box just stops you recording if you get above a certain space limit, there is no physical division of data.

There is no need to get a new disk, why can't you just use the one that comes with the box (unless of course you want 2TB, and you are getting the 1.5TB varient)? If you are looking for a 2TB disk, the western digital WD20EURS has been very popular.

mrmt32

Sorry, somehow I completely missed that post. As far as I know, the disk that comes with the 1.5TB DRX895s is a Western Digital WD15EVDS, so this would probably be a good choice if you go for a 1.5TB disk (or a WD15EURS, which is I think, the slightly newer version).

Last edited:

logiciel

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom