Replacing Onkyo system. Can I use current speakers?

spiderman01

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. My old Onkyo HT-S3305 AV receiver/speaker package is not working properly anymore (front channels not working - probably a relay problem-) and I would like to change the system. However, I have space restrictions and this makes my choices more complicated. Taking space limitations in consideration for the subwofer and front shelf speakers, I was thinking of :
  • OPTION 1: Buy Yamaha YHT1840. The issue I have is to know if my current HTP-338 Onkyo speaker package (part of the HT-S3305) will work with the Yamaha (I could use the current narrowish subwofer and the front shelf speakers). Specs of both speaker packages are attached.
  • OPTION 2: Buy Denon AVR-X1600H. Could I use my 5 shelf speakers with this? If I can, I would only need an active subwoofer with a maximun width of 26 cm. If I can't, I would need advice on a smallish 5.1 shelf speaker package (Wharfedale DX-2 are too big for my space, so....)
I hope I have explained what my thoughts are. Maybe some of you guys can come up with some ideas. Thanks.

Attachments

• NS-PY40 Yamaha.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 267
  • HT-S3305 Onkyo.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
While there's no reason why you'd not be able to use the front, surround and centre speakers from the HTP-338 package, you'd not be able to utilise the passive sub. Modern day AV receivers don't include integral amplifation for a passive sub and rely upon the use of an active subwoofer with its own onboard amplification and power supply. You'd especially need to include an active sub if still wanting to use the rather small speakers from the HTP-338 package. THeir size limits their lower end bass handling and makes them particularly dependant upon a sub for bass.

The frequency response of the 5 speakers excluding the sub is 80 Hz to 20 kHz. You'd need an active sub ro be able to cot=rrectly portray all frequencies below 80Hz. The SKW-338 subwoofer is passive and cannot be used with modern day AV receoivers.

Note that there's a already a topic where you've asked this previously posted here:

Last edited:
Thank you dante01 for your reply. I know I would need an active subwoofer with the Denon receiver. The question though is if I can use my current passive subwoofer with the Yamaha YHT1840, as this system also uses, I believe, a passive subwoofer.

Also, could I use the 5 shelf speakers with the am Denon receiver?

If a device has the ability and speaker terminals to connect a passive sub then yes, you'd be able to connect a passive sub to it and use it.

I know it has the terminal. However, I don't know if it has got the ability. 😬

The AV receiver ioncluded with the YHT1840 package will drive the Onkyo sub. It will however have less power available to it than you'd expect to get if running an active sub with a more recent AV receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom