1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing old Home Theater Amplifier

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Hikikomori, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A couple of my assurance policy endowments just matured (cheques just cleared :) ) so I'm looking at replacing my old amp :laugh:

I've been out of the HT scene for a few years, just starting to get back into it...

Here's my current set-up -

Yamaha DSP-A595 amp (still sounds nice for its age IMO, I'm almost sad to get rid of it :( )
    Yamaha YST-SW160 sub
    Yamaha NS-200's main
    Yamaha NS-100's rear
    Wharedale Valdus centre :blush: (temp, need a front ported box 'cause it's up against the wall)
    12' x 10' spare/guest room complete with junk (doubt I'll be using 6.1) :laugh:

I'm looking at spending around the £350 mark...
    I've been looking around and my local RS have the Yamaha DSP-AX630SE @£250, worth it or should I just wait and buy the DSP-AX640SE (AV-Land have it listed @£339, nicely fits my budget). Would the 640 be overkill in my, relatively small room?

I'll probably go and audition some next week (the Yammy 640 (if it's available yet) being the main one of interest). Anyone care to throw some recommends at me. And is now a good time to buy (i.e no sales just around the corner :laugh: )?

Any advice, comments and recommends welcome,

Cheers!

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've just sold a 630 (long story) & I can say it is a great amp. IF you can get one for £250 they are fantastic value for money.

The 640 will be a little more powerful (but it's a small room) with dts es discrete rather than matrix only (but you said 6.1 isn't viable anyway so why should you care) - so IMHO it's not worth the extra money.

Have you considered the 430? it lacks 6 channel inputs - so no SACD & 6.1 options but it's a lovely amp and is only £180 from RS

3. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the input, totally agree with you that the 630 is great value for money (I paid more for my 595 years ago :laugh: )...

I'll pop into RS tomorrow (Thursday) and see if they've still got the 630 in stock. They had "loads" in stock last week (that's what the sales guy said anyway :rolleyes: ). If they've got some I'll see if Sevenoaks fancy beating their price :laugh: (currently listed at £299)

My 595 is only rated 65w x5 and to be honest it practically blows the plaster of the walls :laugh: I think the 630's 75w should be fine for me...

4. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy the Yahama NS120 centre speaker.. only £19.99 ! for rs.

It will match your system much more !

[Remember to ring them up and tell them to hold one, and then take a print out of the webpage when you go there to buy it, that way they will have no excuse for saying 'we dont have any']

5. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not any more (new price is £29.99) :( I tried to get one a couple of weeks back, none in stock (they said :rolleyes: ).
    Wouldn't I be better looking for the NSC-200 anyway? I saw it selling @£70 some time back (can't remember where though now :zonked: ). I'm just worried about getting a rear ported box 'cause the back of the speaker is against the wall, this Wharfedale's front ported so no worries in that department (main worry is it being 8ohm :suicide: ).

Anyway good news is they still have the 630 in stock, bad news is I picked up the latest catalogue while I was there, it's listed @£299 in there (shelf price is still £250 though :cool: ).

Going to pick one up on Monday (either RS or 7oaks depending on who offers me the best deal :laugh: )...

6. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi I was in the same situation as you I had an 8 year old Sony AV amp, so you can imagine I had a lot of catching up to do, I recently bought a DSP-AX630SE for £249 at RS and for the money you cant go wrong, I'm sure I will be far more impressed with it once I have my DVD player and really explore the 5.1
    CN