Replacing old floorstanders with 2.1 setup?

JoeSla

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 20 year old pair of cheap (but much loved) Mission 702e floorstanding speakers. They are connected to a similarly old Sony TA-FE330R 2 channel amp.

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch but I love the "solidity" of the sound (i.e. bass!) compared to cheap crappy tinny speakers.

But to be honest I have never really had enough space to justify having these massive speakers, and after some building work which has changed the layout of our room, and with 2 small kids with ever-expanding possesions, I think I need to replace them with something that doesn't take up as much space.

But I desperatly want to retain that solid bass, so I was wondering about replacing them with a couple of fairly small speakers I could mount on the wall, and a sub to take care of the bass. Ideally I'd also like to retain my sony amp to power this setup?

I dont really want to spend more than a few hundered £ on this, I don't need super high quality just something better than small tinny speakers. I'm not quite sure where to start, or if 2.1 is even the best option, or if I'm making my life harder by wanting to keep the amp...

Does anyone have any advice on which direction I should go?

Edit: I should mention this will be in a kitchen/diner/living space. And the source is an old laptop running Spotify!

Many thanks!

Last edited:
With that amp, which has no pre-outs and one set of speaker terminals the you are going to need a sub with high level inputs. Generally wall mounting speakers is not the best idea but if you either look for ones design for that purpose or at least either sealed or ones with front ports that would be second best (compared to rear ports).

For a sub have a look at the BK electronics Gemini, often B stock on ebay around £250 or second hand around £150, they often also come up in the classified on here. For a bargain basement sub the Wharfedale SW150 may do the job for around £50-75, it does not go super low but is fairly tuneful for music.

Thanks very much for your reply. I've been looking at some JBL control 1 or control 1 pros to mount on the wall, they seem to be quite a good compact solution for this situation.

I'll look into those subs, good to get some reccomendations for low budget active subs.

Would I send both left and right high level channels to the sub, or is all the bass information in one channel enough?

Thos JBLs lack the mid bass punch compared to your old Missions.

A pair of Mission lx1 mark 2 should work well with your old Sony amp.

Alternatively have you considered large bookshelf speakers? eg Mission lx3 mark 2. You may find you don't need to add a sub.

Mid bass punch? But won't I get around that by adding a subwoofer to the JBLs?
With the space limitations I really need to be wall mounting the stereo pair, so not sure if large bookshelves will be too big...

Maybe see how you get on with the medium sized bookshelves, the Mission lx2 mark 2.

Those JBLs are small and roll off early. It would depend how high you set the subwoofer..setting it too high will be more directional. A well set up subwoofer should blend in and make the main speakers sound deeper than what they're capable off.

What about something like this?

Budget of £670

You will need some way of sending them a signal - something like

I know you had thought to stay with the old amplifier, but this is a lovely modern setup and should work well for your purposes.

Or if that's too much outlay then forgo the sub and streamer for something like:

Budget of £430
These really shouldn't need a sub in most rooms.

With a Bluetooth receiver - stream from phone/ipad/etc

Amazon product ASIN B07W5RB5GN

Budget of £340

With a Bluetooth receiver - stream from phone/ipad/etc

Amazon product ASIN B07W5RB5GN
Of course you won't be getting all the bass but you might be surprised how much bass a pair of active studio monitors can manage.

Last edited:
You don’t say what your sources are?

But I’d go for this at your budget.

The 702e missions are ok speakers. My brother used his for years, mostly for films and tv, with a big Yamaha av amp, and later a Nad 320 BEE. I enjoyed them.

But the bass was nothing spectacular; as with so many inexpensive floorstanders more flabby than well tracked.

The Edifier will be a modest improvement over the Missions and the Sony.

Also the speakers are small enough to be put most places without issue.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Edifier-S350DB-2.1-Speaker-Speaker-System-SP-059-ER.html?campaign=affiliate/tag&from=kelkoo&gclid=CjwKCAjwwqaGBhBKEiwAMk-FtKU_86ScEZRkH4zocJr5lQLBbCf3ktF-apXnbH-7sD783y_s5jM8BBoC2SwQAvD_BwE&__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=c9acfc7c32b757d68bc074369bb488de6cf96c32-1623867350-0-Aftgf-pwVb6CgPi3EkYbuh68iLokif8htKXI-Wf15OdBerduKK-sVWqVGTevSd6r-uCjPi63Vx1RiasnsolIvwKoLuQmzZTjv7WzdGNkZWRzQzl2seBA9HsqLZ7OO4ihNBdkT0ORMMNNj3zdB2wTbRQM4r2FGXW45r3v6yySh8fUGyKD5bRMBkxJ7P7QfA6WCbWY15SMN30abmaAfhhm5EeRn37uQi5QuCiXZVoAdKqIKe8uB7aFlq7vxYKx2VAj4ESmdMX_pprucd9uS7rFgS9TOZEmcxXDE2pNlygkVNVKsNHsBzTRgeBuZTbhlV4vdJCn3pqBPVDxzjgFS5puSVH8N8YunMM7KtvvDDtSg6OADpSAAjU9oX8X6NDPzbt61sHL0lk6Kzbv_4tRGcIyzgcPw142vAeVDUZrug6DetmJdYyDSeL4vcQHfUXe74EbDlubKlXlC1Ebon9SbiZ5-O84zn7TybTG4Djj7rkRagyFy3HvCKZ3yMFuJMhUHIeQKgJcWwXI0PUu59hGI9YXswGRLLMB-xIx-ou-EaeoineEos2y52Tj-QpGFC8H9-Z4aDBdtIbmgGS2NxZD3UtXhOSWHbLQ7CKK4K-naFWL6xOOp6YMMszIhkrxupOqLOsfwg5kB7maGOCzfSiJQHKP560pyPzCxeR2Sy9QZVQnDMYzomRA_X2jnuEIXrNbV-M2uz3zPrGEDDXFCmWPysEhsDQ

Last edited:
You don’t say what your sources are?

But I’d go for this at your budget.

The 702e missions are ok speakers. My brother used his for years, mostly for films and tv, with a big Yamaha av amp, and later a Nad 320 BEE. I enjoyed them.

But the bass was nothing spectacular; as with so many inexpensive floorstanders more flabby than well tracked.

The Edifier will be a modest improvement over the Missions and the Sony.

Also the speakers are small enough to be put most places without issue.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Edifier-S350DB-2.1-Speaker-Speaker-System-SP-059-ER.html?campaign=affiliate/tag&from=kelkoo&gclid=CjwKCAjwwqaGBhBKEiwAMk-FtKU_86ScEZRkH4zocJr5lQLBbCf3ktF-apXnbH-7sD783y_s5jM8BBoC2SwQAvD_BwE&__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=c9acfc7c32b757d68bc074369bb488de6cf96c32-1623867350-0-Aftgf-pwVb6CgPi3EkYbuh68iLokif8htKXI-Wf15OdBerduKK-sVWqVGTevSd6r-uCjPi63Vx1RiasnsolIvwKoLuQmzZTjv7WzdGNkZWRzQzl2seBA9HsqLZ7OO4ihNBdkT0ORMMNNj3zdB2wTbRQM4r2FGXW45r3v6yySh8fUGyKD5bRMBkxJ7P7QfA6WCbWY15SMN30abmaAfhhm5EeRn37uQi5QuCiXZVoAdKqIKe8uB7aFlq7vxYKx2VAj4ESmdMX_pprucd9uS7rFgS9TOZEmcxXDE2pNlygkVNVKsNHsBzTRgeBuZTbhlV4vdJCn3pqBPVDxzjgFS5puSVH8N8YunMM7KtvvDDtSg6OADpSAAjU9oX8X6NDPzbt61sHL0lk6Kzbv_4tRGcIyzgcPw142vAeVDUZrug6DetmJdYyDSeL4vcQHfUXe74EbDlubKlXlC1Ebon9SbiZ5-O84zn7TybTG4Djj7rkRagyFy3HvCKZ3yMFuJMhUHIeQKgJcWwXI0PUu59hGI9YXswGRLLMB-xIx-ou-EaeoineEos2y52Tj-QpGFC8H9-Z4aDBdtIbmgGS2NxZD3UtXhOSWHbLQ7CKK4K-naFWL6xOOp6YMMszIhkrxupOqLOsfwg5kB7maGOCzfSiJQHKP560pyPzCxeR2Sy9QZVQnDMYzomRA_X2jnuEIXrNbV-M2uz3zPrGEDDXFCmWPysEhsDQ
Many thanks for the suggestions ... I'm just not sure I want something that is totally standalone and upgradable. Plus I'm not totally sure where the sub is going to go yet which may cause problems...

My sources are mostly an old laptop running Spotify!

Many thanks for the suggestions ... I'm just not sure I want something that is totally standalone and upgradable. Plus I'm not totally sure where the sub is going to go yet which may cause problems...

My sources are mostly an old laptop running Spotify!

Aha. Well in that case it’s quite the easy choice simply depending on budget constraints.

Spotify can be very good with good recordings and the selectable quality at max.

I use it through my MacBook into around five and a half grands worth of amp and speakers and it is eminently enjoyable.

It’s certainly worth getting the best your budget can allow.

I’m going to take ‘a few hundred’ to mean around £350.

You’ll get some cash back from eBay for your speakers and amp.

So...

That will mean either one of these two, as they are the best about and allow you two extra inputs (TV for instance) as well as a usb input for the laptop.

Then a pair of speakers.

These will be at the very top of your budget. Top class speakers.

These for a smaller budget. Again, very good speakers and a bargain price too. Which will leave a useful sum to help with a sub in the future should you decide on one.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Ps, it would be very useful if you could post a pic of where you’d like the speakers to go. :smashin:

Thanks once again... I'm increasingly thinking that some speakers mounted up on the wall, out of the way will be the only viable solution. Planning to build a bit of custom bench seating against the wall opposite the kitchen units with a tall ikea unit at one end in which to house the amp and laptop.

I'm still drawn to something small and durable like the JBL control 1s...

Thanks once again... I'm increasingly thinking that some speakers mounted up on the wall, out of the way will be the only viable solution. Planning to build a bit of custom bench seating against the wall opposite the kitchen units with a tall ikea unit at one end in which to house the amp and laptop.

I'm still drawn to something small and durable like the JBL control 1s...

The control 1s are not the best around.

Decent enough for the price though.

They are a tiny speaker though and the bass will reflect that.

Also, they have changed from the original ones from years ago that got all the good reviews.

... if you can stretch the budget, these are a big improvement.

Or, for a similar price to the JBLs,

Both the QAs can do a decent bit bass too, whereas the Control 1s ... not really.

Thank you very much Paul for all your suggestions. I've been very drawn to the small Q Acoustics speakers. It feels shallow, but I also love the fact that they come in white to blend in with walls! I'm leaning towards the 3020 or 3020i in order to get a bit more bass, and seeing how it goes without a sub. The reviews all seem to be very positive.

You’re welcome anytime Joe.

I’m of the opinion that the white ones look quite awesome.

I’d never have thought so not many years ago, but fashion and whatnot changes all the time, even in hifi, a conservative bunch if ever there was one.

I think these may be a tad more than you’d care to spend, but pretty much a bargain still.

And these certainly, a great price. And they’ll be more than capable of being able to use the extra power and finesse of any amp upgrade you might decide on later.

I had a pair of 3020s that I really loved.

You’re welcome anytime Joe.

I’m of the opinion that the white ones look quite awesome.

I’d never have thought so not many years ago, but fashion and whatnot changes all the time, even in hifi, a conservative bunch if ever there was one.

I think these may be a tad more than you’d care to spend, but pretty much a bargain still.

And these certainly, a great price. And they’ll be more than capable of being able to use the extra power and finesse of any amp upgrade you might decide on later.

Many thanks again. This sounds even more shallow, but I'm now thinking of getting some 3020i purely because they also made the front grille white!! (3020 is black). Standard price seems to be £219, but then I found these B2 grade on ebay for £184 and wondered if it was worth the £35 saving...
And of course I'll be wanting the two QA wall mounts at £18 a speaker... So easy to spend money!

I don't think I'm quite ready for concept 20s yet!

3020i have been £165 brand new but prices have gone up so £184 is ok.

why not go for the superior concept 20.. its not a huge price difference.

Concept 20 in white look very nice. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom