Question Replacing old / dead sub - but connections are more complicated than I remember

DaddyR

Established Member
Reaction score
My 20+ year old Eltax sub has died (for the 2nd time this year, it's just not economically viable to fix it again at about £70 as I assume things are getting terminal). So it's time to replace it. This is for a 5m square lounge that will NOT be the main movie watching room as the cellar is being converted into a very expensive home theatre. So it's more likely for midweek TV watching.

The current setup is a 5.1 setup of 20+ year old Eltax floor standers, centre and dipole rears running through an Onkyo TX-NR555. Given the cost of the cellar I am not going to change these. But looking at new subs is perplexing as they have so many connections! I am used to the sub running through an RCA to the LFE connection but loads of images show a whole bunch of High / Low and L / R connections. Do I avoid these models and only look for an LFE RCA input? Or can I use any sub and pick an input for the RCA?

However, do I even need to get a sub? If I calibrate the room to be 5.0 will the front standers give sufficient bass? (That sounds like a piece of string question!).

And finally, based on another post, I saw this, which is pleasingly cheap and correspondingly small and might lack oomph - but at least it has an LFE input! Any thoughts as I've not heard of them. Premium Select 8-inch 200-Watt Subwoofer by Monoprice (EU plug)

Or can I use any sub and pick an input for the RCA?
Yes. Any sub with one or two RCA input will perform as you're used to.

Yes. Any sub with one or two RCA input will perform as you're used to.
Do I just pick one or other of them? Or will the instruction manual direct me?

Your mains won't be able to reproduce the low bass nor at decent SPL, compared to a subwoofer.

With a sub for a av system you just need single RCA input, and volume

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom