1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing old CRT with Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by VTR, Sep 21, 2005.

1. VTR

VTR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at replacing my old (1989!!!) Sony 21" CRT, which I've been very happy with, but has now lost it's sound & the picture occasionally display's a greenish shadow!!! I don't think I can complain to much with 16 yrs service!!!
    So I've have decided to take the plunge & go for a plasma tv. The ones I'm looking at at the moment are the Panasonic TH37PV500 & the Sony KDE-P37sx1.
    I have to admit that I do like Sony gear, it's alway's been reliable, sounded & looked (picture) good, & when ever I've seen other manufacture's offerings, they just don't seem to match up. However, I'm not the kind of person to keep changing stuff every couple of years, & so want a good, reliable, quality tv to last, & that will be future proof (as much as it can be!!!), which is partly my reason for looking at the Panasonic.
    Due to the amount of time that I'm away with my job I don't have Sky/cable (I'd be paying for a service that I'd only be watching for about 4 months a yr!!!), so the majority of my veiwng will be terrestrial tv, with the occasional DVD thrown in.
    Although I live in an area that doesn't have freeview coverage, but will be one of the first area's in the country to have the analogue signal switched off in a few years, the idea of a freeview tuner built into the set seems to be a good idea for that eventuality, which is partly the reason for my choice's so far.
    My viewing distance is around 3m.
    As I'll be viewing mainly analogue feeds until the freeview becomes available, could anyone advise what the picture quality is like. Also, are there any other set's I should be looking at?
    Obviously I'll be demo-ing these tv's before I buy, but I'm just wondering if I'll be disappointed with the performance.

Cheers

Giles

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Sony don't actually make their own plasma they rebadge and are moving away from doing that too. But certainly demo them, you wont be disappointed with the panny

3. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome aboard VTR... :hiya:

Call your CRT old, my B&O is 24 years old and going strong, but I digress...

I too am about to take the plunge and have been lurking on these forums for ages gathering info about what's out there, what's highly regarded and what's right for me.

I am 99% set on plumping for a Panasonic Display in 42" rather than one of the Viera TVs due to its greater tweakability and the fact I'm sure I'll get a better picture with it using a scaler to do the video processing.

Not sure what to suggest for your situation - if South Devon doesn't currently have freeview coverage then I'm not sure how much use a freeview tuner would be to you. You can get external analogue tuners (such as those by avermedia)

http://www.aver.com/products/tvtuner_AVerTV_box9.shtml
    OR
    http://www.aver.com/products/tvtuner_AVerTV_box5.shtml

Which could be connected to a display (PWD8 or PHD8)

Once Freesat comes out you could then get the additional channels via a dish and connect up to your display.

Good luck