Question Replacing mybookliveduo failed drive

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by dsw, Oct 3, 2017.

1. dsw

dsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hi

Does anybody know if the internal drives on the mybookliveduo which are wd green drives, one of which has failed can be replaced with the newer wd red of the same capacity keeping the raid 1 intact?

They are listed as compatible on wd website but it's the only mention on the web I can find other than the instructions for the mybook which implicitly states use the same drives like for like! But the greens are discontinued.

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,738
    Have you considered asking Western Digital..?

I find a few Internet articles that suggest the "green" product line was folded into the "blue" range.

If you cite the model of green HDD that's failed, it might help with suggestions for a compatible alternate.

It would be wise to make a backup of you data post-haste if you haven't done so recently, especially if you have concerns about introducing a new device.

3. dsw

dsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hi thanks for the reply. Wd have said that the enclosure can be used with wd red drives but involves copying the data off which I'm doing.. replacing the failed drive, rebuilding the raid, replacing the working drive also with a red, rebuilding the raid then copying the data back.

Think I'll just bin the mybook off and purchase a synology and shr raid it so I don't fall into the trap of needing discontinued identical drives.

4. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,738
    Sounds like WD are being very conservative and cautious. You can't really blame them - if they said, "no worries, it'll be fine," then half way through the rebuild or some time later, it went crunch and you lost all your data, you wouldn't be very happy.

I wouldn't chuck out the mybook if it's working. You may as well keep it - you might find a use for it (such as making backups) even with a single drive.