Replacing my Yamaha RXV6A

elboogz

Standard Member
Hi guys,

So I've had my Yamaha RXV6A for just over a year now, however I'm now looking to upgrade from my 7.2 system to a 9.2 system as I want to add some rear heights. I'm also interested in units with AURO 3D capabilities and have been looking at the Denon AVC-X4700H and Marantz SR7015, which both look very similar in spec. My question is, are there any other amps or receivers that I should be considering around this price point? 🤔

Thanks all, much appreciated
Els

Zarf2007

Arcam avr10

D

Deleted member 901590

Thanks Zarf2007, I'll take a look and check it out! :smashin:

Bear in mind that I believe the AVR10 will only support rear heights with an external power amplifier added. Whereas the Denon and Marantz you quote have enough internal amplifiers to support.

elboogz

Standard Member
Bear in mind that I believe the AVR10 will only support rear heights with an external power amplifier added. Whereas the Denon and Marantz you quote have enough internal amplifiers to support.
Thanks AEIOU, the AVR10'S also out of my budget range for now. I currently have the Dali Oberon 5's, 1's, Vokal, and Alteco's for front heights which I'm really enjoying. The idea is to add another set of Alteco's for the rear heights.

I'm thinking that if I then want to update later down the line, I could go for something like the Emotiva BasX A3 adding the Oberon On-Wall for the rears 🤔

...still just working it out and learning as I go, but any thoughts are welcome!

D

Deleted member 901590

Well, I haven't seen your room, existing speaker positions, seating positions, etc etc.

But, a tip I would give that many other members have done before, is to use some speakers temporarily in position where possible to see if (a) you actually like the effect and (b) if your room matches the layout.

For example, some CA Minx speakers you can pick up for no money, they will virtually stick with good blu tack anywhere, so you already have an AVR so that you could try out surround backs in the room.

Can be a good idea before spending the money!

NewbieAudiophile

Have you considered sticking with Yamaha and going for their 'Aventage' line? Otherwise, do you think that there is any real difference in performance between the different brands?

elboogz

Standard Member
Well, I haven't seen your room, existing speaker positions, seating positions, etc etc.

But, a tip I would give that many other members have done before, is to use some speakers temporarily in position where possible to see if (a) you actually like the effect and (b) if your room matches the layout.

For example, some CA Minx speakers you can pick up for no money, they will virtually stick with good blu tack anywhere, so you already have an AVR so that you could try out surround backs in the room.

Can be a good idea before spending the money!
I didn't even think of this, so big thanks for the suggestion!

My room's approximately 10x13 feet (WxL), with open entrances to a kitchen and lounge at either end so not an ideal setup. That, and my couch is only half a foot from the wall, which is why rears wasn't really an option.

In fact I do have a pair of Elac Debut 2.0 Atmos speakers that I'm not currently using. Not sure if these would work since they are specifically for Atmos, but I may still try them anyway. Really liking the idea of finding some Cambridge minis though to test the idea :D Looking forward to the day when I eventually have a dedicated HT room! Haha!

elboogz

Standard Member
Have you considered sticking with Yamaha and going for their 'Aventage' line? Otherwise, do you think that there is any real difference in performance between the different brands?
Hi NA, I did initially look at the Yamaha as I do like my V6A, but the RX-A4A also has 7.2 channels, and RX-A6A which would be a better fit, is far more expensive than the X4700. Given the price difference I'm leaning more towards X4700, and using the spare change on another pair of Alteco's now, and potentially a 3 channel power amp later.

From what I understand having a power amp means the AVC/AVR wouldn't have to do as much heavy lifting, one of the benefits being better clarity of sound separation between the channels. Still fairly new myself so my terminology might not be on point :D

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom