• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Replacing my towers

Tommy Gunn

Established Member
So over time i have gradually been replacing my original cinema package (Q Acoustics 2050 series) and the only component left is the towers. My budget is $2500, my preference for sound leans more towards home cinema. All of my music is streamed via Spotify (every Friday night ) There seems to be a lot great speakers in this price range, from the kef q 750, svs prime, jamo c97 & 590, B&W 683, Klipsch 260f & 5000f....i do not favour any of these, its just an example of whats available. I would love some help with making a decision on whats best. My room is 6mtrs long and 4.5mtrs wide, with floating floorboards and brick walls.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Well as you already have Klipsch center channel then something from Klipsch would be ideal to keep the tonality same at the front. I think you should have opted for the better RP-range center, but if you are happy with it then i would look R-610F or R-620F. Sure you can get the better RP-260F too, but notice the tweeter is different (aluminum vs. titanium) and there should be noticeable difference how these sound with the cheaper R-serie being brighter some say even harsher. Bit tricky as for music listening i would the RP-260F without doubt over the cheaper R-620F, but the latter would "match" better with your center channel having identical tweeter. But is it going to matter much after running Audussey i have no idea. The RP-5000F would be bit small and could sound bit underwhelming (bass) after larger QA 2050.

Tommy Gunn

Established Member
Well as you already have Klipsch center channel then something from Klipsch would be ideal to keep the tonality same at the front. I think you should have opted for the better RP-range center, but if you are happy with it then i would look R-610F or R-620F. Sure you can get the better RP-260F too, but notice the tweeter is different (aluminum vs. titanium) and there should be noticeable difference how these sound with the cheaper R-serie being brighter some say even harsher. Bit tricky as for music listening i would the RP-260F without doubt over the cheaper R-620F, but the latter would "match" better with your center channel having identical tweeter. But is it going to matter much after running Audussey i have no idea. The RP-5000F would be bit small and could sound bit underwhelming (bass) after larger QA 2050.
With relation to the centre speaker, I was under the impression that when listening to movies/TV the idea of matching tonality makes little difference. When listening to music I always listen in stereo (with the subs)

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
With relation to the centre speaker, I was under the impression that when listening to movies/TV the idea of matching tonality makes little difference. When listening to music I always listen in stereo (with the subs)

If you feel there is no issue when the sound pans from speaker to speaker then proceed. If you check what most people with expensive systems have and in real cinemas behind the screen, there is identical speakers in same orientation for reason. Second best option is speakers from same range at least with same tweeter, but regarding Klipsch i would still pick the better range just for long term purchase in mind. Can you listen any of the brands before buying?

Tommy Gunn

Established Member
If you feel there is no issue when the sound pans from speaker to speaker then proceed. If you check what most people with expensive systems have and in real cinemas behind the screen, there is identical speakers in same orientation for reason. Second best option is speakers from same range at least with same tweeter, but regarding Klipsch i would still pick the better range just for long term purchase in mind. Can you listen any of the brands before buying?
If I went for the klipsch I can afford the model above the towers that are matched with my center (maybe 2 models above) In your opinion would that cause issues. Listening to the klipsch I think is possible but I'm not sure at the moment. The center I purchased was $500 which believe it or not was a great price and at the top end of my budget.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
If I went for the klipsch I can afford the model above the towers that are matched with my center (maybe 2 models above) In your opinion would that cause issues. Listening to the klipsch I think is possible but I'm not sure at the moment. The center I purchased was $500 which believe it or not was a great price and at the top end of my budget.

Try to get a demo for the RP-260F or RP-6000F. As a long term purchase better speakers are always wiser choice, you can swap the center channel much cheaper in future than mains. You would still have speakers from same brand so i think you will be fine. But if you prefer something else just ask the dealer to have few models so you can compare.

Tommy Gunn

Established Member
Try to get a demo for the RP-260F or RP-6000F. As a long term purchase better speakers are always wiser choice, you can swap the center channel much cheaper in future than mains. You would still have speakers from same brand so i think you will be fine. But if you prefer something else just ask the dealer to have few models so you can compare.
Just had a quick look and the 260f is $600 cheaper. In your opinion which is better for movies.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Just had a quick look and the 260f is $600 cheaper. In your opinion which is better for movies.

Would have to hear all brands mentioned, but regarding the 260F vs. 6000F i don´t think you should pay the extra as the changes are not big. There is actually people who has prefered the old range. What i had in mind was that you could listen the 6000F as it´s available in most Klipsch dealers, but the 260F might not be. Main thing is you listen one of those. If you can leave good space behind/sides then i would also consider 280F as you are listening music and yeah they should be quite dynamic with movies.

Tommy Gunn

Established Member
Why is the same tweeter important?, I've had a look at the 260&5000 and they have different size mid-range woofers......from what i can tell all klipsch tweeters are 1inch. The 5000f i think is 2 models up in the new range would it be a nocticable mismatch?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Arendal Tower S

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Why is the same tweeter important?, I've had a look at the 260&5000 and they have different size mid-range woofers......from what i can tell all klipsch tweeters are 1inch. The 5000f i think is 2 models up in the new range would it be a nocticable mismatch?

If you want to keep the tonality same then it would be good idea, but sticking with same brand you should be fine still. I would pick the 260F over 5000F without doubt as would most people. As i said earlier you might feel underwhelmed if you go with smaller speakers (than QA 2050), at least with music listening cause the low end will be weaker. So if you are going to hifi shop ask to listen RP-260F or RP-6000F with the idea of buying 260F to save some money. Those two models should be very close each other! Give the dealer call and book the demo, keep us posted how you like em!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom