Replacing my Tannoy 609's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by Zeppelinfreak, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Zeppelinfreak

Zeppelinfreak
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    It's my first post so go easy.

I am looking to replace my Tannoy 609s which have served me well for 25 years. They are hooked up to an Audiolab 8000a and a Marantz CD62 which are the same age. Richer Sounds are doing Mission MX3's for 150 quid and I am very tempted. One of the Tannoys has a slight crackle at times which is why I am considering replacing them.

2. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Think you need to go and audition some speakers it's the only way to get a positive result. What I like from a speaker isn't necessarily what you like. Yeah mission have decent enough reputation but so do loads of others. Go to RS and book a demo of several different pairs so you then have realistic idea as to what sounds will come through when you get home. If you been happy with tannoy for 25 years why change brand ? Tannoy just launching some new budget range speakers which may be right up your street though being so new I haven't heard them or seen reviews yet.

3. Cribbster

Cribbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Firstly, are you sure it's the Tannoys that have the crackle? Secondly, as mentioned above, you really do need to listen to the speakers yourself to make your own judgement. For me personally, based on what I heard at the Bristol Show the Mission speakers may sound quite nice but they are missing something compared to a couple of the other budget speakers at the moment. If you are committed to floor standers at such a low budget I would be inclined to look at the new Tannoy Eclipse speakers or the Elac B range. Both, IMHO offer surprisingly good sound for the money and are seriously worth considering. Don't rely on reviews though - go listen to them yourself.

4. Zeppelinfreak

Zeppelinfreak
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.
    I think I'll follow your advice and arrange to audition a few different sets of speakers, I was just tempted by the price of the missions, but held off in the end. I realise that I'll probably need to increase the budget a fair bit, but 'buy cheap and buy twice' could well have happened here.

I'm sure its he Tannoys that have the crackle, in fact its only one of them. I swapped them and the crackle followed the speaker. I also tried my amp & cd player on a friends new system - with acoustic audio 3050's and great sound with no crackle, these are also now a serious contender. I'm actually relieved its the speakers, I think I'd be heartbroken if it was my beloved Audiolab amp.

On a positive note he thought my amp/cd player combo sounded better than his new marantz pm6005/cambridge audio cd transport. (maybe he was just being polite).

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and for your advice.

5. KenM10759

KenM10759

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Set a budget. Add 25%. Now go out and audition some speakers, getting a home trial on a couple you like best. Then buy.

6. Cribbster

Cribbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    You're welcome. :)

So what is your budget and what are you looking for form the speakers? Are you particularly interested in floor standers or is it primarily about the quality of the sound first and you are not so bothered if that is from floor standers or stand mount?

7. Zeppelinfreak

Zeppelinfreak
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably looking at £500 max for the budget. Not really bothered as to stand mount or floor standers, other than I think floor standers look better, it is all about the sound.

Its hard to say what I'm looking for, but I'll know when I hear it.....I mainly listen to rock / heavy metal.

8. Cribbster

Cribbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    As a general guide you are likely to get a better sounding bookshelf / stand mount speaker for that sort of budget than a floor stander. That being said, you can get some exceptions to that. As I mentioned earlier I really was very impressed with both the new Tannoy Eclipse speakers at the Bristol show and the Elac B series. For Elac, this appears to be their first foray into the budget speaker market and they are very good. Sure, they may not be as refined as something more expensive, but for the money they are superb. Ok, so at Bristol they were being driven by a Moon amp but the speakers were not being shown up. They were really tight and punchy. The Tannoys were being driven by a Rega (Elex, I think) so, again, a much higher priced amp yet the speakers were not being exposed. I didn't hear the Mercury 7s so they may also be a good option. I also do very much like the new Tannoy Revolution XT speakers and I believe the stand mount ones are around £600 so just outside your budget but who knows, you may get a deal off someone. At that price point I would also seriously look at Dali as they make lovely sounds, although I am not quite so sold on the Opticons - maybe I just need to hear them with a slightly warmer amp. Another left field option may be to look at the XTZ 95.44 speakers - again, pretty extraordinary sounding speakers for the money. Have fun looking around and listening. :)