Question Replacing my speakers with older but better (?) floor standers

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by [email protected], Jun 19, 2017.

1. john@jmcdonline

[email protected]
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

Wonder if someone could help me? Over the last couple of years I've got back into vinyl and dusted off my old Systemdek 1 turntable and NAD pre-amp.

I use it with a Yamaha AV Amp, a Velodine Sub and 5 JBL Studio bookshelf speakers.

I took the front JBL's away and replaced them with my old Tannoy 603 speakers to help get better stereo sound (or even 5CH stereo) but although a wee bit better than the JBL sound - it's not much. I'm thinking of buying a set of Tannoy Mercury M3 floor standers to see if that will do the trick as fronts and either leave the JBL's at the back or move the 603's there.

What do you think?

For movies everything sounds great as it is - it's just music (vinyl in particular) that's not as good as it could be :)

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers

John

2. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    If as you say, yr "into viny"l, then the less processing between disc and speaker the better. For that reason I don't understand how you want 5.1 which wasn't available in vinyl days... and requires chips that seek-out minor phase differences.
    Also, it's difficult to understand why the speaker swap is "Better" - how are you measuring this - or simply you believe it sounds "better"... perhaps that's it.
    My understanding is that vinyl has relatively poor* LF, to combat warping/off-centre sub-audio sounds, so a bass-boost somewhere above 30Hz might be useful . . . with a sharp cutoff below 20Hz. . . . . maybe that's what the "older speakers" are doing?
    However, without any measurements it's down to personal preferences.
    What stylus weight are you using?

* the hf is even worse, by modern standards, of course - that's why the RIAA curve was introduced to reduce surface noise whilst saving space that LF demanded. I read somewhere that only discs issued prior to 1970's are truly analogue - as the Industry went over to digital between the Mic-Mixer- and only reverted to Analogue at the cutter-stage.
    Of course Playback is under "our" control, so maybe a whacky valve-amp might help? However, due to the high voltages an isolating transformer is needed ( as I'm sure you know), and this effectively creates a limit to the LF performance - since folks won't pay for a huge piece of iron - although nowadays torrodials can be quite good..

Good Luck..

3. john@jmcdonline

[email protected]
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks 12Harry; it's a lot less complex for me when I say I've got back into Vinyl. I'm not an audiophile. It's all about the tactile process of putting a disc on and listening to it as opposed to streaming everything from either my FLAC collection on my server or Spotify etc. I'm enjoying the process of that so it's really about trying to make records sound as nice as they can with the kit I have (or without much more outlay). I do have a proper (albeit low end) stereo amp in the loft (Cambridge A1 - one of the first ones) but was hoping to just use my AV receiver to do the processing whilst using either straight pass through or 5 channel stereo. Straight pass through to the wee 603's - they sound very under powered with little bass. Change it to 5 Channel Stereo mode and it all sounds an awful lot better. Maybe I should get the A1 down and try it and see what happens but I would like to have the 5 speakers doing two jobs; Cinema sound for movies and nice stereo for records which is why I'm wondering about the old Tannoy floor standers. I can get them for £70 so not a big outlay to be wrong but I'd rather not buy something wrong if I can avoid it :)