Replacing My Sky Box For A PVR

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by NJTheLSM, Nov 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. NJTheLSM

NJTheLSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I currently have Sky Digital, but want to replace with a PVR. I don't have an aerial at the moment as I get all TV and Radio from Sky.

What I wanted to know is if there's any PVRs out there that can pick up their signal through a Sky dish and digital Coax?

It'll make the move away from Sky allot easier if I can just unplug the Sky box and connect a PVR to the same cable?

I know there's a cabling forum, but I thought 'PVRs & VCRs' would be a more suitable place to get an answer on this...

Thanks for your help :)

2. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Just Sky+ and a dreambox are the only DVRs if you want integrated Sky.

Alternatively get a TiVo PVR or a DVD recorder with an EPG. These connect to the scart at the back of the sky digibox.

3. NJTheLSM

NJTheLSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting - Does this mean I get the EPG from Sky visible through the DVD recorder?

BTW - What's a dreambox?

Thanks for your help :)

4. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Yes, you get the EPG. However, with DVD recorders and non-TiVo DVRs like Sky+ you dont get sufficient metadata so that you can hunt for say Akira kurosawa and auto-record. This is an essntial feature for me. 7 years ago I programmed my TiVos to record my favourite actors, actresses, musicians and directors. Without further intervention TiVo records them automatically forever! So I can happily leave them alone for 6 months or more and still find the TiVos full of new stuff I would like to watch. It is a quantum leap ahead of most DVRs, and that was 7 years ago!

Dreambox is another Linux based DVR. Needs a bit (or a lot) of work to get to the level of TiVo, but does have an integrated Sky receiver.

5. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought you still get all the free-to-air and free-to-view channels thru your sky box after you cancel your subscription (so long as you have had the equipment for a year). I have just signed up to sky+, planning to keep it for a year and then cancel exactly for this reason. I was quoted £110 for a new ariel and say £150 for a good pvr. So it made sense to me.

Dave

6. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    You lose all Sky+ DVR features, including playback once you stop subscribing.

7. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just done the same thing: ditched sky and bought the Humax 9200T.

Aerials aren't that expensive: it might be cheaper to go this route.

8. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Does the dreambox have two sky and two freeview tuners, or can it be upgraded as such? So I could for example have sky subscription channels, freesat channels, and a pair of freeview tuners to go at allowing me to record pretty much anything whilst watching a great variety of other stuff?
    This question may become pointless however if Sky make the Sky+ subscription free with any viewing package.....

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Considering their recent results and JM saying that a number of ideas are being put into place it would not be out of the question that making SKY+ "free" with any subscription channel package could come to pass.
    Certainly more attractive to SKY than cutting prices and churn for SKY+ users is negligble.

I've just bought the Humax 9200, nice machine but unless you are cancelling SKY altogether the cost of a DTT twin tuner DVR (and maybe a new aerial) would pay for a couple of years of SKY+ subs (if you didn't already qualify for the sub deal).

10. realsirocco

realsirocco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I've been in search of an alternative for Sky+ for some time, mainly because I want the content of the PVR to be accessible over my network and I don't want to pay Sky another tenner a month when I only have the basic subscription as it is. I looked at the dreambox on a few websites but got the impression it was incompatible with sky because of the encryption. Any help or a push in the right direction would be greatly received.

11. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=3321057&highlight=dreambox#post3321057