Replacing My Rogers LS2/2a Speakers on Stands

newcoppiceman

Novice Member
I'm replacing my vintage 1993 (I think) Rogers LS2/2a speakers and their stands after some 15 years' flawless continuous service. I'm replacing with Monitor Audio Silver S8s and wondered if anyone had views on the difference (improvement?) I might expect. The cabinet volume of the new speakers is some three times that of the Rogers so, I guess, the bass response should be better at least.

The Rogers are still working fine and are in very good condition cosmetically - I'm only changing them because I now want a beech veneer finish whereas these are black ash - so guess they should still be worth a bit.

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
My dad used to have a pair of LS2/2a driven by a Musical Fidelity A1 and jolly good fun they were too.

I would take a long hard listen before deciding the S8s are the logical replacement. The presentation of the more mainstream brands may well be too 'in-yer-face' for those of mature hi-fi taste, so don't discount the likes of Spendor.

Happily, I believe they can be found along side MA in a lot of Sevenoaks Sound & Vision branches which appear on most street corners.

Russell

newcoppiceman

Novice Member
Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments Russell.

I'm auditioning the S8s next week and will bear your comments in mind. I have to say that I opted for the S8s principally because Monitor Audio is a quality brand I recognise and I'm getting a pristine pair in original boxes for under £400, which strikes me as a decent price.

These days I tend to listen mostly to DAB (Radio 4, Radio 2) and TV; since I was a teenager in the 70s I've appreciated how good TV sound is - and it's improved enormously since the days of 16mm com-opt film, quadruplex VTRs and 'copper' contribution/distribution circuits. Certainly anyone listening to a TV set's internal speakers is seriously short-changing themselves in these all-digital days.

In the past I've worked for Piccadilly Radio, Manchester and BBC TV, London so have come across Spendors and they are, indeed, fine speakers. When Channel 4 moved to a new building in 1994 we opted for Genelecs in the control rooms.

Before the LS2/2as I had LS6s, I think - certainly they were larger - again acquired with the help of my BBC staff discount!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom