Replacing my old Xbox for movie streaming duties

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Mr_Belowski, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi peeps,

After a spot of advice...

I've got a fairly standard network setup with movies and stuff on a NAS, streaming wirelessly (via a bridge) to an old Xbox running XBMC. This all works very nicely, but the Xbox does struggle with higher bit rate stuff and it's getting a bit noisy.

I've not got an HD telly (but probably will at some point when the kids are old enough to know they shouldn't bash Hotwheels on the screen), so the boxes with only HDMI connections are no good.

Basically it needs to have SD connections (scart / composite or S-video + analog L/R audio) and be able to stream from a DLNA or Samba server (ethernet or wireless). Oh, and be cheap and good, of course :)

Anything out there that fits the bill?

2. nacmacfeegle

nacmacfeegle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,488
    SD connections are the driver here...PCs aren't that good at that sort of thing on a budget.
    You probably want a media streamer, something like a WDTV Live, or an Xtreamer which deffo have analogue video outputs.
    This sort of device will be a direct replacement for your Xbox functions, apart from the gaming, and will be easy to set up and pretty much silent.
    Try asking here
    Streamers & Network Media Players | AVForums.com - UK Online
    Or get a moderator to move you over.

3. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Ah yes, this is in the wrong forum really isn't it. Oops :)

Thanks for the info tho

4. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    What about a Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc xbmc. Has composite video, standard analog via 3.5mm jack, and of course you'll be familiar with the interface. Very cheap and easy to setup. So small you can stick it on the back of the TV away from the kids. Use android or ios app as a remote.

5. timbow

timbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm using a Pi now. Perfect with Openelec XBMC running. The analogue sound out has an issue in that it pops when sound stops and then starts which can be annoying. I believe this is something the Raspi foundation are working on. It can be overcome by using a USB soundcard (or HDMI). I also have a Hauppage IR remote attached and that also works perfectly.