Replacing MSI gaming laptop.. HP OMEN!

FaxFan2002

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Been looking at replacing my current laptop gaming rig (MSI, GTX970, 75Hz Gsync, SSD / HDD) and found this which seemed to be a bit of bargain -

1RK06EA#ABU, HP OMEN 17-an002na - 16GB RAM

i7-7700HQ, GTX1060, 17.3" IPS 120Hz with Gsync, 16GB RAM, SSD / HDD for £1200. Quite well reviewed as well. Ordered a 2.5" SSD as it only support a single M.2 (the MSI I have supports 4 M.2's!)

Yes, storage was a big thing for me when I got my Alienware R4 (that and the price I paid off the Outlet). 3 slots is really handy for future-proofing. I managed to bag one with a 1070 whereas the rest were 1060's. I think I just got lucky that night.

The Omen is a very good price + spec. Generally reviewers seem to like it. Nice with the 120Hz screen too.

Dear god it's got a loud fan though, just trying to fix it.

Is it just bad when under heavy load?

Think you just have to accept fans on decent laptops, dunno what yours is like but I was surprised at at my MSI GE62 but that's just cos I'm used to my main pc being quiet. Used to it now.
Laptops need decent cooling and they do damn well but small enclosed fans are gonna make some noise there's no getting away from it. However its not as bad as my 60gb ps3 so if that gives you some reference lol.

Edit..
Is it much worse than your old msi?

Last edited:
I've got a couple of MSI's in use in the house and running the same game, same load it's waaay louder. The fans ramp up 3500 rpm and the noise level is 64db. MSI's by comparison are less than 50db, i've never had the urge to look at the fan speeds on the MSI's because there so quite.

It's a shame really because apart from the fan's it's a really good machine :(

I've upgraded everything bios, firmware etc. check for blockages inside. Now boxed up ready to go back...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom