Replacing Motherboard - How do I get Windows 10 back?

ocelot20

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello,

A few days ago. I had a issue involving a liquid CPU cooler leaking onto my motherboard. My motherboard is not dead and I have a new one coming tomorrow.

My question is where do I stand when it comes to Windows 10? I was on Windows 7 Pro and upgraded to Windows 10 for free. As far as am aware Windows 10 key is assigned to the motherboard?

Is there anyway I can simply just put this new mb in and connect up my hard drive and pick up where I left off? As there is some pictures/files I would love to get off that hard drive. Or do I have to do a clean install of windows?

As there is some pictures/files I would love to get off that hard drive.

I think a better backup system is probably a priority over another fancy cooling system :)

Don't worry about data on the computer. If need be you can always boot to a LiveCD/LiveUSB and transfer it off onto discs, USB sticks, external drives etc.

Anyway, in licence terms it depends on which version of windows you've got. If it's a retail version of Windows then you can transfer it as you like. Last time I checked, which admittedly wasn't for Windows 10, An OEM version generally allows a like for like replacement or a suitable substitute as determined by the system manufacturer (OEM only being valid on systems sold to other people these days). If you're only replacing the motherboard it's likely they'd have no problem with it.

In technical terms it never used to work very well unless the replacement was identical. Even if you got away with it initially you'd get strange faults down the line. Windows has been improving in that area over the years though, so it might be worth a try.

I think a better backup system is probably a priority over another fancy cooling system :)

Don't worry about data on the computer. If need be you can always boot to a LiveCD/LiveUSB and transfer it off onto discs, USB sticks, external drives etc.

Anyway, in licence terms it depends on which version of windows you've got. If it's a retail version of Windows then you can transfer it as you like. Last time I checked, which admittedly wasn't for Windows 10, An OEM version generally allows a like for like replacement or a suitable substitute as determined by the system manufacturer (OEM only being valid on systems sold to other people these days). If you're only replacing the motherboard it's likely they'd have no problem with it.

In technical terms it never used to work very well unless the replacement was identical. Even if you got away with it initially you'd get strange faults down the line. Windows has been improving in that area over the years though, so it might be worth a try.

Thanks for the help.

I actually did back up my files and stuff onto a USB stick but I have since lost it. As for the data on the drive. I am pretty sure it was on the HDD with the Windows 10 os. So would I still be able to get them folders off that hard drive with the LiveCD?

As for windows 10. I did have a read up about it. Apparently since I have a retail Windows 7 (which I used to upgrade to 10). I simply just have to reinstall windows 7 activate the serial number. Then install windows 10 and it should be fine.

Again thanks for the help.

As for the data on the drive. I am pretty sure it was on the HDD with the Windows 10 os. So would I still be able to get them folders off that hard drive with the LiveCD?

As long as the drive isn't encrypted or otherwise protected then it's contents will be visible like your other drives.

As for windows 10. I did have a read up about it. Apparently since I have a retail Windows 7 (which I used to upgrade to 10). I simply just have to reinstall windows 7 activate the serial number. Then install windows 10 and it should be fine.

There shouldn't be any need to reinstall Windows 7 these days, I know the Windows 10 installer takes Windows 7 keys.

As long as the drive isn't encrypted or otherwise protected then it's contents will be visible like your other drives.

There shouldn't be any need to reinstall Windows 7 these days, I know the Windows 10 installer takes Windows 7 keys.

Thanks for the help. I got my new motherboard. Everything is working except for the M.2 SSD. When I try to install windows it can't see the M.2 SSD. So ill be sending this back and buying a new one.

So did you just install Windows 10 fresh and use your Win 7 serial number?

I am, in the new year? thinking of an upgraded Mboard, but I will try and do, what I have done before, and it amazed me that it worked, though I'm sure not recommended, and that is just swap the hardware and let Windows boot up and see the hardware.
Let it has a bit of a crazy moment as it knows somethings different, but give it some time and it settles down

Or not, and I just got lucky! :)

Hi,

What I had to do was reinstall Windows 7 once I got my computer built again. Activated windows 7 and then did a Windows 10 upgrade and it all worked out fine.

Hi,

What I had to do was reinstall Windows 7 once I got my computer built again. Activated windows 7 and then did a Windows 10 upgrade and it all worked out fine.

Really, you HAD to do it that way, as Windows 10 would not recognise your Serial No, or you just did it that way to play safe?

Really, you HAD to do it that way, as Windows 10 would not recognise your Serial No, or you just did it that way to play safe?

It was the only way for me due to my old M.2 drive getting destroyed along with my old motherboard. Then again about a year ago when I was building a friend a budget PC. I gave him an old hard drive that had windows 7 on it. But it kept giving us errors about Windows can't be repaired. So we had to wipe the hard drive install Windows 7 again.

Thanks.
I guess it's one of those, you won't know till you try it things :)
Even now, a fresh Win10 install on my PC, whilst not needed, would probably give it a spring/winter clean, but it's getting all the apps back and all the settings for all those apps :(

Thanks.
I guess it's one of those, you won't know till you try it things :)
Even now, a fresh Win10 install on my PC, whilst not needed, would probably give it a spring/winter clean, but it's getting all the apps back and all the settings for all those apps :(

Had to go through the same thing today my self. Windows 10 was acting very sluggish. So did the refresh windows 10 option. It installs windows 10 but keeps your files.

Only now just got finished downloading both Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 which come in at about 130GB! My ISP is not going to be very happy with that.

Yes, however, I am aware, the media installer thing which puts Win10 on top still holds onto a lot of junk. Though it is easy :)
I had to do that for the anniversary update this year.

Glad you are all up and running, I keep just going to upgrade then hear of something new about to come out, and never ends! lol
Like right now, I guess, let's wait for Kaby Lake.

If I may bump this again, though there seems no life in this forum.

If I have a retail Windows 8.1 Pro Key.

Firstly, whilst I'm sure it is a retail version as I bought it as such, is there any official way to check it's 100% retail?

Secondly, if I do change my Motherboard, CPU and RAM in my PC, lets say I reconnect my SATA SSD to my new motherboard, boot it up and see what happens.

Windows 10 will I presume throw some kind of fit, but if it goes into some type of repair mode or re-register mode. If I enter my (Checked it's retail) Windows 8.1 Pro key, we are thinking it will accept that to rebuild/reinstall Windows 10 onto the new hardware?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom