Question replacing monitors - with what?

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the moment, I've got a couple of Full-HD 22" or 23" (can't remember exactly) LG IPS monitors. Due to a desk change (baby needs her room...) it looks like I should replace them with a single monitor. I've been looking at 4K displays, but with a budget of around £300 that means a fairly basic 27" and not much more. I'm not that fussy to be honest so I doubt it would bother me if it's not fast enough or whatever, but I'm not convinced that's big enough for 4K.

Would a 2560x1440 monitor possibly be a better idea, in the same 27" size? The downside would be that I lose actual space.

Reasons for higher resolution / more desktop real-estate:
- I tend to use multiple windows
- I use the PC for work, which requires multiple windows
- I sometimes keep a game on one screen and something else on the other

Advice from anyone who's looked and decided in a similar situation appreciated. Thank you!

Firstly which video card have you got? And what are you playing? Anything less than a GTX 1080 I would say get a 1440p as you won't hit the FPS at 4K. 1440 at 27" has roughly the same pixel density as 1080p at 24"

Just noticed you are running a 290x. I've used the virtual resolution at 1440p and it plays most games fine. I've just got a freesync monitor and can highly recommend it. First person shooters look alot slicker. I would look at a 1440p monitor with possibly a 144hz refresh rate
Alternatively look at an ultra wide monitor

Firstly which video card have you got? And what are you playing? Anything less than a GTX 1080 I would say get a 1440p as you won't hit the FPS at 4K. 1440 at 27" has roughly the same pixel density as 1080p at 24"

Just noticed you are running a 290x. I've used the virtual resolution at 1440p and it plays most games fine. I've just got a freesync monitor and can highly recommend it. First person shooters look alot slicker. I would look at a 1440p monitor with possibly a 144hz refresh rate
Alternatively look at an ultra wide monitor

Thanks Delvey; 1440p native might be a bit too much of a drop usable desktop space so I'd probably prefer a native 4k display; which would probably mean I can still use 1440p (or even 1080p, but that might look a bit rough at 27" or more) but without 144Hz refresh. I could probably happily live with that..!

Acer B276HKymjdpprz 27" IPS UHD Monitor

I have 4 screens and I have one of these as my main screen, just a little outside your budget. I'm not a massively demanding user response time wise but I do calibrate my monitors. It's bright, clear and has been working well this past 9 months and calibrates well. Can't complain.

I also have a Benq GW2765 which I also find equally excellent though thats "only" 2560*1440.

Also don't be fooled by 4k on a display as it's a bit of a non issue. You have to scale everything to 150% anyway on a 27" screen or you simply can't see it and by the time you do that it doesn't look any different to the 2560*1440 screen. Also depressingly still a lot of programs just simply aren't high resolution aware and so look terrible on a high resolution screen. It also almost mandates a minimum of Windows 8.1 but really preferes Windows 10 as MS just don't cater for very high res screens very well.

Gaming wise I play some Overwatch and League of Legends and both run perfectly fine with a Nvidia 670 on the Acer for me.

G

Playing battlefield 4 before in 1440 and the only map I really struggled with FPS wise was siege of Shangai. However the drop in frames was counter acted by freesync

Playing battlefield 4 before in 1440 and the only map I really struggled with FPS wise was siege of Shangai. However the drop in frames was counter acted by freesync
Thanks! That's one of my main "drugs" nowadays, so that's good to know. And yes, that map does seem to make things struggle a bit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom